Underpronators/supinators

Options
Who else is an underpronator and what kind of running shoes do you wear?

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Your local running store should be able to fit you for the proper shoe to your foot.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I second the specialty running store recommendation.

I am a supinator and I wear neutral shoes. When I was a bit heavier I wore cushioned neutral shoes.

Good luck.
  • Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. I do agree that going to the LRS and getting fitted is good advice and have said that on here myself in the past, but I was hoping to avoid their jacked up prices this time around, and I would NOT be ok with letting them fit me and then buying from a big box store where I can get the same shoes $20 cheaper.
    My shoes have been asics for a while now. Somebody got me some asics for my birthday a while back that felt comfortable at first, but they made hot spots on my heels while running. I later found out those particular shoes were for overpronators so that was probably the problem. I know I should have checked on that BEFORE I started running in them.
    Asics contends feel nice and are pretty cheap, but they say they are for lower mileage, and it shows in how fast the tread wears out. Asics cumulous had been my favorite shoes ever, but some reviews I've read say the newer ones are more stiff like a support shoe and less like a neutral shoe than the previous ones, so I really just wanted to get an idea of what others to try on in case the cumulous ended up feeling stiffer to me like they did for those reviewers.
    I ended up buying some Brooks Ghosts and so far they are great.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    Who else is an underpronator and what kind of running shoes do you wear?

It's hard when you don't go to an expensive store that fits you for sure. I find shoes that work perfect and then when I need a new pair the model is changed. Hopefully this can help you https://comfortableshoeguide.com/best-asics-shoes-for-supination/
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. I do agree that going to the LRS and getting fitted is good advice and have said that on here myself in the past, but I was hoping to avoid their jacked up prices this time around, and I would NOT be ok with letting them fit me and then buying from a big box store where I can get the same shoes $20 cheaper.
    My shoes have been asics for a while now. Somebody got me some asics for my birthday a while back that felt comfortable at first, but they made hot spots on my heels while running. I later found out those particular shoes were for overpronators so that was probably the problem. I know I should have checked on that BEFORE I started running in them.
    Asics contends feel nice and are pretty cheap, but they say they are for lower mileage, and it shows in how fast the tread wears out. Asics cumulous had been my favorite shoes ever, but some reviews I've read say the newer ones are more stiff like a support shoe and less like a neutral shoe than the previous ones, so I really just wanted to get an idea of what others to try on in case the cumulous ended up feeling stiffer to me like they did for those reviewers.
    I ended up buying some Brooks Ghosts and so far they are great.

Get fitted, buy the first pair from that store to support them, then buy subsequent pairs wherever you want. Think of it as paying for the fitting service, rather than "jacked up prices." I think it's well worth the $20 for a professional fitting that will help you avoid injury.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    FWIW, Running shoes tend to wear out long before you notice the tread wearing. The cushioning and support systems break down. You start to notice it by feel or when you starting getting sore in places that don't normally get sore.

I can't recommend a particular brand of shoe since what I like best may not be what you like best. I can say that generally most brands have decent shoes if you are willing to pay (although brands like Asics and Rebook are not really known for running shoes). Without getting evaluated and trying on many different shoes you may end up with something you hate (and then spend even more getting something different). In my opinion, it is not worth saving a few dollars. Plus, I really want my local running stores to survive since they offer so much more than just shoes.

Good luck.