Keto/Intermittent fasting combo

Options
Hi all! I've tried all fad diets/workouts and this time I'm taking science and combining it! Keto/IF with HIIT and heavy strength training! My goal is 20 lbs in the next 2 months but I need your help! Shoot me an add and motivate my *kitten* to succeed!

Replies

• Daisy_Girl2019
    Daisy_Girl2019 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Keto is just another fad diet. Sorry.
  • goodasgoldilox165
    goodasgoldilox165 Posts: 333 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Daisy - that is a bit dismissive! There is plenty of good research on reducing carbs - for health and weight loss. It is now one of the plans offered by health professionals in many countries.

I've been comfortably low-carbing for about a year now and have lost 40lb. (My carbs come from veg especially green stuff and I eat lots of good oil/fats and the usual amount of protein.)

It has not been difficult whereas just calorie-counting and aiming to eat low-fat for 7 years didn't ever get me this far and did make me feel deprived. I always thought it was my fault but can now see that the plan didn't work for me.

I don't count calories any more (doing so makes me obsess about food and this leads to more eating) and do eat the full-fat versions of everything, but can accept that CICO probably is part of the effectiveness of low-carb.

However, appitite control and feeling satisfied (a different matter from feeling 'full') is also a thing.

I've simply lost the overwhelming desire for sweet things that used to make me 'hungry' for 'treat' foods all the time. I have bars of chocolate in my kitchen cupboard (gifts) and no desire to eat them. This is astonishing and has never happened in my life before.

Different ways of eating work for different people. In the end getting happily to a healthy weight and being able to sustain that is the important thing.

Good luck with your new plans Lilmendy. I would say that 20lb loss in 8 weeks is ambitious (though people have done it)- especially if you intend to gain muscle at the same time. Perhaps use tape-measurements as well so that you can see your progress in other ways?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    That's a nice combination of all the current fads and fashions!

It's also a very aggressive rate of loss.

Beware....
    HIIT and heavy strength training are antagonistic not complimentary (both need recovery time).
    Both are also low calorie burners if you are intending using exercise to boost your weight loss.

Keto and intense exercise are antagonistic (low glycogen levels impair performance).

Fasted training (if you intend training during your fast) can take quite a while to adjust to.

Good luck though.
  • goodasgoldilox165
    goodasgoldilox165 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I've not tried heavy strength training but have just climbed a mountain for the first time in 30 years.
    I set off wondering if it would be possible with low carbing.

It was 9 hours of walking/scrambling (I needed crampons for the first time) and tough for someone only used to walking, but I didn't find low glycegen any kind of problem. Energy levels were fine.

I've been low-carbing for a long time now and seem to have adapted to using fat for exercise. (I do know of marathon runners who do the same.)
  • smahan2010
    smahan2010 Posts: 61 Member
    Options

Not a fad, just increased attention over the last few years.

From Diet Doc: The ketogenic diet's origin dates back to the 1920s when doctors began using it to control seizures among patients with epilepsy. The history of the ketogetnic diet began with a nutritional plan made of carbohydrates (carbs), fat, and protein forces the body to use fat instead of carbohydrates for energy.

@Lilmendy .... keep up the great work!!!