Low carb macros

Options
Does anyone have any good insight on a low carb diet and where a good percentage is for fat and protein. I typically tend to find protein easy to consume but I know it’s a tricky task to make sure everything is lined up appropriately and I want to do it right.

Replies

• MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    What is your motivation for going low carb? There are different low carb diets with different macro breakdowns. Do you have a specific health reason, or do you think that it is something you feel you need to do to lose weight?,
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    If your daily calorie goal was 1200 calories (and it doesn't need to be that low unless you are very very short AND sedentary) anything under 45% / 130 grams carbs would technically be low carb.

http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/ask-the-dietitian-whats-the-best-carb-protein-and-fat-breakdown-for-weight-loss/

It would indeed be tricky to hit all three macros right on whatever target you set and in fact I haven't heard of anywhere here who bothers to do that. Macros are important for satiety, not weight loss.

Most of us who are paying attention to macros just focus on the one or two ones that are important to us. For me it is protein. For some who are doing keto it would be carbs (to stay under) and protein (to make sure they hit it) and they would fill the rest with fat but not worry about an exact fat macro.