Going on vacation

Options
Hello. First time starting a thread here. I am going on a family trip to NYC this coming Monday. Any tips for staying on track while still enjoying myself? My plan to do so includes hitting the gym a few times, eating three squares a day, occasional (one daily or less) dessert and moderate portion sizes. What do y’all experts think?

Replies

• Hammig74
    Hammig74 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you have a great plan already without any of us telling you :smile:
    What you propose is exactly how I tackle holidays/vacations. I have never gained more than 2-3lbs during a vacation and once I'm back to normal routine, that small gain is gone within the month.

Enjoy the trip :smile: I also have a trip coming up in a weeks time, Italy here I come :smiley:

First time? I loved visiting Italy and want to go back! Have a wonderful time!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    Hammig74 wrote: »
    It sounds like you have a great plan already without any of us telling you :smile:
    What you propose is exactly how I tackle holidays/vacations. I have never gained more than 2-3lbs during a vacation and once I'm back to normal routine, that small gain is gone within the month.

Enjoy the trip :smile: I also have a trip coming up in a weeks time, Italy here I come :smiley:

First time? I loved visiting Italy and want to go back! Have a wonderful time!

No, we've been several times, but this is our first time to Padova/Padua area, and we hope to visit Verona, Venice (for the fourth time). Its one of our favourite countries to visit, as is Greece :smile:
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    I usually do great on holidays/business trips. I walk as much as possible, drink tons of water, take stairs instead of elevator. A great workout in large hotels is to simply walk the halls and then take the stairs to the next floor, repeat!
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    I am worried about it also, going to beach next week and I have gained as much as 7 lbs on vacation. This time I am going to try small portions, 1/2 a lot of stuff. Split stuff with husband.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options

I went to Italy last year. So beautiful! You will love it. Food awesome.
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options

This! Go have a good time and don’t overthink it.

• nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    @livingtheleandream, my puppy is from Verona! Have fun.
  • Hammig74
    Options
    Vacation was great! I’m up in lbs, of course, and am going on Ideal Protein Phase 1 until I get back down again. I’ll report back once done so and then close the thread (if that’s a thing). Thanks everyone for all your advice
  • brenn24179
    Options
    back from my vacation, went up 3 lbs but down 2 lbs in a couple of days so all is good, only 1lb to go. I stayed so hungry on my beach trip for some reason, some bad habits came back. Next time I wont drink soft drinks which I don't do at home. I also ate at night when I got hungry, when I am at home I get water or tea not food! So that was a mistake. Live and Learn. Also I let myself get too hungry, running around and then dinner time I was starved, next time I will have me a few healthy snacks in between times so I don't get so hungry.
  • Hammig74
    Options
    Back down to goal!
  • JohnnytotheB
    JohnnytotheB Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I feel like you have a really solid plan. Are you currently logging your food? If yes, are you planning on logging while on vacation? That might be a good move because restaurant food is sneaky and high in calories. Have a great time on your vacation.
  • stricklee11
    stricklee11 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Vacation was great! I’m up in lbs, of course, and am going on Ideal Protein Phase 1 until I get back down again. I’ll report back once done so and then close the thread (if that’s a thing). Thanks everyone for all your advice

Did you take public transport/walk around a lot while in NYC? I have a week long trip to NYC coming up and hoping that all the walking will limit the amount of weight I expect to gain.
  • brenn24179
    Options
    it seems too much exercise works against me, makes me so hungry. On my beach vacation I stayed starved and was very active. I know holidays and vacations are trigger times for me, so much temptation. Plan on drinking more water next time and upping the protein.
  • Hammig74
    Options

Did you take public transport/walk around a lot while in NYC? I have a week long trip to NYC coming up and hoping that all the walking will limit the amount of weight I expect to gain.

I did, and it helped for sure. Have a great time!
  • Hammig74
    Options
    I feel like you have a really solid plan. Are you currently logging your food? If yes, are you planning on logging while on vacation? That might be a good move because restaurant food is sneaky and high in calories. Have a great time on your vacation.

Hello! I’m back from vacay. I did log my food and, if nothing else, helped ingrain the habit of logging