exercise: what if i HATE EVERYTHING?

Options
so i'm 47 and it seems like i'm gaining a pound every day lately. i know i need to get moving -- i'm a very sedentary person. but i HATE working out. i don't like sports. yoga doesn't seem like it would be any help in losing weight. i lost 50 pounds with weight watchers a couple years ago, and i was managing to keep it off... until i started grad school this past fall... then i started stress-eating and slacking on my habits and pretty soon ten extra pounds just magically reappeared. doesn't help that i'm going through menopause these days either. like i said, i know i need to get moving on a regular basis but i don't even know where to start since i really do hate exercise, and "just find something you like!" is not helpful. "you should do it so you don't get sick when you're older" is also true but very abstract and not all that motivating in the moment. uuuuuuugh.

Replies

• Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,477 Member
    Options
    Do you have children or a partner? How about thinking of the benefits for someone that loves you and you love.

Do you want to subject them to helping you bathroom when you lose mobility and strength due to your lifestyle?
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Panini911 wrote: »
    walking is a fine exercise. find others who enjoy walking to go with to make it more entertaining.

and do little things like parking farther away to get more walking in just in your day to day life.

This^^^ . Do you like to walk? It's just fine as exercise, doesn't cost money, you can do it anytime, can do it singly or with a partner or group, you can wear what you want ( just get a good pair of walking shoes), and you can walk as far and as fast as you want. Hard to beat.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,177 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    rothko999 wrote: »
    so i'm 47 and it seems like i'm gaining a pound every day lately. i know i need to get moving -- i'm a very sedentary person. but i HATE working out. i don't like sports. yoga doesn't seem like it would be any help in losing weight. i lost 50 pounds with weight watchers a couple years ago, and i was managing to keep it off... until i started grad school this past fall... then i started stress-eating and slacking on my habits and pretty soon ten extra pounds just magically reappeared. doesn't help that i'm going through menopause these days either. like i said, i know i need to get moving on a regular basis but i don't even know where to start since i really do hate exercise, and "just find something you like!" is not helpful. "you should do it so you don't get sick when you're older" is also true but very abstract and not all that motivating in the moment. uuuuuuugh.

Walk to get around, rather than driving. I take the bus into the city, but from there, I walk. I walk between work and uni and to catch buses and to shop etc. etc. It's easy to get anywhere from 2-5 km/day.

If you do drive, park some distance away and walk from there. Several of my coworkers park about 2 km from where we work and walk from there.

Take the stairs whenever you can. Climb a few extra flights when possible.

Be inefficient. When the commercial comes on TV, stand up, pick up one thing and put it away or clean one thing or fold one thing. I end up walking back and forth in my house many times in an evening.

• rothko999
    rothko999 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    i'm 5'9" and about 155. i'd like that to be about 147. so it's not like i have a HUGE amount to lose, but i see the scale going *up* instead of down lately and i'd really like to at least maintain if not lose. weight watchers changed the way they do the "points" though, and it just doesn't work for me the way they're doing it now. i lost that 50 lbs by just eating differently and better, never actually added any activity. counting calories has not worked for me in the past, but i guess i'll try it again. it's just hard when i have 600 calories left at 3pm and have no idea what else is left for me to eat. i haven't got a clue how many calories a given item even is. it just makes me anxious and panicky.

i do like to walk... summers here in austin are absolutely unbearable, though, and i don't tolerate heat very well -- i can easily end up in heat exhaustion if i'm not careful. also, i need to be careful about plantar fasciitis. i suppose i could always join the ranks of the early morning mall-walkers. that's just depressing though.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    What about walking. Make it a habit. Every evening after dinner, say, go for a 30 minute walk. Maybe find some nice trails to go on to get out in nature.

You can also just fake it til you make it. Most people don't like exercise when they start out but once you get into the habit you realize how good it makes you feel, and you know that you are taking care of your body, that you end up enjoying it. Use it or lose it. Watching different people age, those who are active vs those who are not, what a difference.
  • AnnofB
    AnnofB Posts: 3,588 Member
    Options
    exercise-is-a-blessing-not-a-chore-i-workout-because-i-am-grateful-i-physically-can.jpg

I actually enjoy working out but on those days I feel tired, or blah, or sick, or whatever I think of this. Every day this. Whether it's seeing an elderly person shuffle just to get around or a person in a wheelchair I think of this.

Awesome! Thank you for this!