New hobbies besides eating myself to death

Options
I really want need to find new coping skills for my anxiety and new hobbies for my boredom eating. I always binge eat/snack... even while I am writing this, I am thinking about my next snack. What things do you do to find a different outlet? Something that won't cost me an arm and a leg would be totally awesome.

Replies

• Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    I love bike riding, doing yoga, listening to podcasts, hiking, and reading. Maybe you would like one of these. I am not sure what you like to do, but do you have any current hobbies? What do you do for fun? Do you have anything you used to like to do? I've heard some people take up couponing or a new sport too.
  • tattoomary
    tattoomary Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I crochet in the evening. It's very meditative ...and keeps my hands busy :-)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,429 Member
    Options
    I like visual journaling (takes no talent, just willingness), jewelry making (easier than most people think), teaching myself to play bluegrass banjo (I'm horrifying at it, expect to be so for a long time), and various other misbegotten crafts.

That's in addition to rowing and gardening, among other more minor pursuits.

What have you always wished you could do? Try it. Work at it. Worthwhile things aren't necessarily easy. They take patience and practice. That's part of the fun. :flowerforyou:
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    tattoomary wrote: »
    I crochet in the evening. It's very meditative ...and keeps my hands busy :-)

I do this too. Inexpensive, easy and free to learn, and productive.
  • __MamaBear__
    __MamaBear__ Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Honestly I have to say I crochet. Keeps you focused on what you're doing and busy.

DIY crafts are fun too
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I recently begun hand drawing/coloring on shoes. I found Chuck Taylor knock-offs at Michaels for $6 and with a set of fabric markers I have hours of soothing fun while keeping my hands engaged rather than snacking. And I end up with a nice supply of lifting shoes at the end!