Logging workouts

I dint really understand this, I've logged food.. I do not understand how to log exercise...

Replies

• witchwithwineuk
    witchwithwineuk Posts: 3 Member
    Hi,
    I’m Mary new to this site this week. I also am not sure how to log exercise or use the calories.
    It appears that to calculate the calorific amount of an activity you click on “exercise” (on top blue header)enter weight duration and type exercise and calories are worked out for you. These extra calories are then added to your daily allowance. What I don’t understand is can you consume the extra calories (or “bank” them for days you go over your daily allowance.) or are they simply there to show how active you have been i.e. not to use.
    Hopefully someone wha has been a member longer can help.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,979 Member
    edited April 2019
    On the PC choose the exercise tab, then under exercise diary you can search the database for the type of workout you're doing.

On the apps, you would scroll down in your food diary to the exercise section, choose cardio and search for your exercise. For anything, including strength workouts, to add calories, you use the cardio tab.

For each, you put the time you exercised and it'll add the calories.

The exercise calories are added for you to consume. The calorie goal given by MFP does not include intentional exercise with the assumption you will add in as you go. Your calorie deficit is already included in the number before exercise so you'll lose without any additional activity.

Yes, you can use them on days other than your workout day. Many people follow a weekly calorie goal for this reason and often bank calories for higher calorie days. It balances out.

After logging for four to six weeks, see how you're doing and adjust as needed. Calorie calculators are just estimates and often need to be altered due to real life data.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10503681/exercise-calories-do-i-eat-these-a-video-explanation/p1