10k to half-marathon in 6 weeks :S

Options
Sooooooo...... I've just signed up to run a half-marathon on the 13th October, which is 8 weeks away, but I am on holiday for 2 of those. (the cruise ship has a gym, but 'improving' performance during that time is probably unrealistic).

I'm currently running about 10k, but need to increase that to 21km rather sharpish.

I'd never usually attempt something quote so ambitious in such a short space of time, but it's for a charity I'm heavily involved with and they are short of runners... so I will step up and do my best.

Firstly..... wish me luck! and secondly, any training tips and tips to avoid injury would be greatly appreciated.

At this point, I am really not concerned about time, but more about making it through in one piece. I say I'm not worried about time, but I'd rather not be THE LAST person, but making it is the main thing.

Replies

• smerkord
    smerkord Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I signed up for a marathon and became very busy over the summer and hardly ran at all. Got a few 2 -3 mile runs in, seriously. I don't recommend it, but it can be done. I used and interval timer and I ran for 4 minutes and walked for one, which worked pretty well through the first half. The second half, I just put one foot in front of the other. 6 hours and 45 minutes later I crossed the finish line in one piece.

I have also run a half after only training for up to a 10K. I am not at all promoting this, but the walk/run intervals got me through. Train as much as you can and probably make sure you go out slower than you typically do for a 10k, maybe even use the walk run intervals in the first 10k even if you can comfortably run one to save some juice for the next 7 miles.
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Best of luck!!

Not much time but I would say that you can get to 21k in 6 - 8 weeks.

You will need to add 2k per week to your long distance run (1x per week, same day every week). With that try and get in at least 3 other runs. 2x @ 10k +/- to work on pace & speed + 1x per week of hills. For hills, find some place that gives you a decent elevation change, then run up and down, repeat. Start with 3-4x and then add a rep each week.

For the long runs, I suggest a 10:1 (10 min run + 1 min walk, repeat for distance). The long runs are about getting your body used to the distance. Not about speed!

Have fun with the training and enjoy the half!
  • jackieh5077
    Options
    Thank you SmerKord. I keep meaning to incorporate more interval training into my runs, so this may be the way forward. One day this weekend, when I have time I am going to set out and just run until I can't run any more.. I want to see how for I can go now, so I can assess how much further I need to get.
  • jackieh5077
    Options

You will need to add 2k per week to your long distance run (1x per week, same day every week). With that try and get in at least 3 other runs. 2x @ 10k +/- to work on pace & speed + 1x per week of hills. For hills, find some place that gives you a decent elevation change, then run up and down, repeat. Start with 3-4x and then add a rep each week.

For the long runs, I suggest a 10:1 (10 min run + 1 min walk, repeat for distance). The long runs are about getting your body used to the distance. Not about speed!

Thank you! that's really helpful!
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    If at all possible... even on the cruise ship...run your long runs. Don't neglect the long runs. You can scrape by without the short runs, but you want to knock out the long runs. And, don't set your expectations for the half too high. Be happy with finishing, not having the most stellar time. That way, if you do manage a rock star kind of time, you'll be doubly pumped. But, if you run into trouble, you'll be happy to have finished, period.

Good luck. You can do this.

:-)
  • semeyer
    semeyer Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Don't neglect your long runs!! If you are going on holiday and need to change around your schedule, make sure you try to get in one day a week of doing the long run, and skip the shorties. I ran my first half marathon in July -- When my schedule got too hectic and I needed to twerk my schedule, I made the mistake of skipping some of the long runs....and I felt the pain when I got up to 10, 11, 12 miles in the race. My body was just not used to being pushed for that long.

GOOD LUCK!
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    It is definitely doable. Log one long run per week and increase your mileage by 1 mile per week. You really only need to max out at 11 miles, so even if you do not add additional miles on your vacation weeks, you should be fine. I would make sure you try to run some during that time though.
  • Chococatte
    Chococatte Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Wow Congrats! I recently started training two & 1/2 weeks ago to run a 5K in November, I myself am not a runner or even a jogger, but I am active at the Gym, so this is all new to me. I purchased two apps to help me train ismooth run & 5K Runner. Personally I think I only really needed one. If it's ok I would love to ask you a few questions, if you don't mind answering them since you are an expert. I'm not a breakfast person so I usually don't eat it but on the days when I run in the morning is it alright if I just drink a Protein Shake or do I need more? Also, since I began 2 1/2 weeks ago I'm starting to have more energy, I would love to know should I train everyday now or should I just remain with the schedule of every other day? I look forward to hearing from you. ???? Happy Running! ????????
    C.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Many years ago, I did my first half and trained for a long run of only 7 miles. I finished, but a 2:20. It's definitely doable, just realize you need to put in a lot of time and miles to get your time to improve. A few years and thousands of miles later, I shaved 40 min off. Good luck!
  • jackieh5077
    Options
    Thank you all for your help and advice! the key thing I'm taking away at this point is DONT NEGLECT THE LONG RUNS.

Chococatte - I'd say listen to your body. If you feel energised enough with just a protein shake, then you are probably fine. I tend to have a protein shake and/or a banana for breakfast most days. when i have time, I like to make protein smoothies so that's also an option. Or maybe a protein pancake... or if time is an issue, maybe look at meal replacement bars.

Regarding rest days, I'd say build up the frequency by one extra day at a time, but make sure you have one complete rest day a week.
  • Alderaic
    Alderaic Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I'd say to consider doing walk run on that day, anything between 4:1 to 10:1
    also make sure to run at least that distance everyweek for your total mileage (21k total per week at least, a bit higer would be better).

Last but not least, increase by at least 1k per week your long run to reach roughly 17/18k as your final long run (slow pace)
    If you follow this, do a lot of stretching after each session, the 21 should not be an issue, though you may be quite sore for 2 to 3 days after, as for the cruise, running around the boat should provide a nice workout, no excuse here ;)

good luck!
  • jackieh5077
    Options
    Thank you! Well, I suppose this is supposed to be a challenge... and a challenge it will be :)
  • seepersaud
    seepersaud Posts: 5,759 Member
    Options
    You can definitely get there. I got back into running about three months ago, but was already in good cardio shape before that from using the elliptical and the stepper at the gym. Doing interval training, I got to where I could comfortably go three, four, then six miles. I did my first 10K on July 4 and my first half on August 8. The half course was very hilly and it was a humid night, so I did less actual running (and more speed walking) than I planned to. That didn't bother me; I was just happy to finish.

As far as training goes, when I wasn't running, I was biking or swimming. That helped me build endurance and was lower impact than running. This region is hilly, so you can get a good workout biking.

It won't be easy, but you can do it.
  • tuffytuffy1
    tuffytuffy1 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    You can definitely do it! I signed up for a half marathon a few years ago and only had about 6 weeks to prepare. At the time I signed up, the longest I had ever run was 5 miles. What I did was once a week, got in a long run. So week 1, I did 6 miles; week 2, I did 7 miles; week 3 I did 8 miles; week 4, I did 9 miles; week 5 I did 10 miles; and no long run the week of the race. I did it, but man, it was tough! The first 6 miles of the race went by just fine, but then I started hitting a wall around mile 10. At that point, it was very much of a struggle, but I kept saying to myself, it's only 3 more miles, I can do it. You can do it!
  • jackieh5077
    Options
    I fly off on holiday friday and much to my friend's bemusement, I have packed my running gear for holiday. Eeek!
  • JoanB5
    JoanB5 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Two weeks ago, I had a 10K to prepare for. We had Fall Break from school, and a week planned at at Disney/Orlando the week before the race. I did take running gear, "just in case" I had the pleasure of a run. No stress.

We walked approximately 7 miles a day per day at the parks (X28 miles of walking). I got a big blister all the way down my fourth toe as a result. It was a good reason to NOT run on our two days off, but I thought, "I really need to get some running in just to try to callous this darn blister. Plus, the new environment would be fun."

I ran sidewalks, took my Garmin and smartphone for a map, and logged about nine miles in two runs in 90 degree heat. Boy, am I ever glad I did!

Something to consider with travel is you often pick up a bug from being around new people and new environments. We ALL got sick on the way home. I had bronchitis and achy skin for four days. One of my kids missed four days of school and I nursed him to health.

I had only one day to do a short test run for cool weather that had changed here in my absence, and test my lungs.

So...run on vacation close to race date? If at all possible, YES! Don't stress it, but enjoy it. It may be just what you need to push you over the hump.

I finished my first 10K in constant rain, at 52 degrees, half sick in just a few seconds under an hour. I was never more proud! I'm still on a runner's high from that experience.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i did a half marathon with about 8 weeks of training, and only a 6 mile running base. i finished in two hours twelve minutes, under my goal of two-fifteen.

to say that you can't improve on vacation is false. you just need to work and work hard.