Starting to run again, 13 years later

Options
2»

Replies

• tirowow12385
    tirowow12385 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    Your BMI is above 30 and your pace is 12-13 minutes per mile, i doubt majority of the fit females can run that pace with 50-60 pounds on strap on their back. If your BMI went down to the low 20s, i guarantee you will halve that pace and run in the 7 minute mile pace as your cruising speed.
  • LadySaton
    LadySaton Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    You only just started increasing your running, right? You can retain a lot of water when you start a new exercise or increase the amount of a familiar exercise. I’d give it awhile before deciding it’s not helping. Also, running makes some people extremely hungry so if you’re nibbling a bit here and there without tracking, I’ve definitely been there myself. 🤣 Also, calorie counts from fitness devices can be inflated, as well as MFP’s own calorie suggestions for exercise. I have found some equations repeated frequently on these forums and use them myself successfully.

.66 x (your weight in pounds) x (number of miles you ran) = calories burned running

And

.33 x (your weight in pounds) x (number of miles you walked) = calories burned walking

Those are apparently a more accurate way to estimate the calories you burned either walking or running.

One more thing, I would advise against adding a whole lot of running distance very quickly. A training plan (like others have mentioned) would help you not jump the gun and do too much too fast. It’s easy to think we’re ready for more than we might actually be - because a lot of times our bodies don’t let us know there’s a problem until it’s too late and we’re injured.
  • IDeserveBetter
    IDeserveBetter Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Marjael wrote: »
    You’re already running about 6.5 minutes at a time before walking, so if I were you, I’d find a c25k or c2510k program and start the program at the week that closest matches that 6.5 min interval. The program will help you build up your stamina. Once you’ve got stamina, then you build on that by developing a weekly plan that includes 1 speedwork (intervals, tempo, etc), 1 steady pace long run, with the rest of your weekly runs being easy pace runs - and increase your combined weekly distance by only 10% to minimize chance of overuse injuries. Heavy weights and yoga are great compliments to the running.

For the plateau (they suck!) - have you been taking your measurements monthly? Sometimes with a plateau, (it seems to me, no scientific back up here) the body seems to cling to a weight number for no reason sometimes and retain water or whatever, but the tape measure tells a different story as the waist or hips or upper arms still go down a bit despite the stubborn scale. If the tape measure is going down, eventually the scale will catch up.

I taped last night after posting. I hadn't taped since February and there was a bigger difference than I expected.
    Feb was as follows (take into account I had a breast augmentation, so those numbers are a bit skewed)

Feb: Bust 41
    Chest 36
    Waist 38
    Hips: 43
    Biceps: 13 both

April: Bust: 40
    Chest: 34.5
    Waist: 35
    Hips: 42
    Biceps: 13
  • IDeserveBetter
    Options
    You’re already running about 6.5 minutes at a time before walking, so if I were you, I’d find a c25k or c2510k program and start the program at the week that closest matches that 6.5 min interval. The program will help you build up your stamina. Once you’ve got stamina, then you build on that by developing a weekly plan that includes 1 speedwork (intervals, tempo, etc), 1 steady pace long run, with the rest of your weekly runs being easy pace runs - and increase your combined weekly distance by only 10% to minimize chance of overuse injuries. Heavy weights and yoga are great compliments to the running.

For the plateau (they suck!) - have you been taking your measurements monthly? Sometimes with a plateau, (it seems to me, no scientific back up here) the body seems to cling to a weight number for no reason sometimes and retain water or whatever, but the tape measure tells a different story as the waist or hips or upper arms still go down a bit despite the stubborn scale. If the tape measure is going down, eventually the scale will catch up.

24 minutes yesterday with the two miles.

I know people keep saying c25k, but I'm making huge progress on my own guidance, so I'm going to continue with that.
    My next goal is 2.5 miles this weekend,and the full three next week
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

I know people keep saying c25k, but I'm making huge progress on my own guidance, so I'm going to continue with that.

problem is doing you own thing can lead to doing too much too soon.

I did that a year and a half ago, added too much millage too soon and my knee has had issues ever since. Now, even though I can go and run 10K, am doing couch to 5K to ensure I don't add too much too soon.

You could try that program, but to the jogging at a faster pace than you normally do, that way you can work on speed too, without adding too much too soon.
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    I can understand your excitement about making progress so quickly. It’s empowering! My concern is that you may be setting yourself up for injury. I have a friend that did too much too soon and ended up sidelined by her doctor with a boot on her foot for 8 weeks due to stress fractures. If you are relying heavily on exercise for your calorie deficit this will impact your weight loss goals in addition to your fitness goals. I sincerely believe that slowing down and listening to the advice many have given you about not increasing mileage too rapidly would pay off more in the long run. The people advising you aren’t trying to discourage you. They want to help you meet your goals.
  • IDeserveBetter
    Options
    LadySaton wrote: »
    You only just started increasing your running, right? You can retain a lot of water when you start a new exercise or increase the amount of a familiar exercise. I’d give it awhile before deciding it’s not helping. Also, running makes some people extremely hungry so if you’re nibbling a bit here and there without tracking, I’ve definitely been there myself. 🤣 Also, calorie counts from fitness devices can be inflated, as well as MFP’s own calorie suggestions for exercise. I have found some equations repeated frequently on these forums and use them myself successfully.

.66 x (your weight in pounds) x (number of miles you ran) = calories burned running

And

.33 x (your weight in pounds) x (number of miles you walked) = calories burned walking

Those are apparently a more accurate way to estimate the calories you burned either walking or running.
    0pwER
    One more thing, I would advise against adding a whole lot of running distance very quickly. A training plan (like others have mentioned) would help you not jump the gun and do too much too fast. It’s easy to think we’re ready for more than we might actually be - because a lot of times our bodies don’t let us know there’s a problem until it’s too late and we’re injured.

This is good advice.
    I'm taking my cues from Fitbit for calories out.
    I've kinda been reinventing the wheel with this whole thing, but I feel accomplished.

Maybe I need to just forget about the scale for a while.
    I like the equation for calories that involves weight. When it
  • IDeserveBetter
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »

problem is doing you own thing can lead to doing too much too soon.

I did that a year and a half ago, added too much millage too soon and my knee has had issues ever since. Now, even though I can go and run 10K, am doing couch to 5K to ensure I don't add too much too soon.

You could try that program, but to the jogging at a faster pace than you normally do, that way you can work on speed too, without adding too much too soon.

When I say I was distance walking, I was averaging ten miles a day, for about a year.
    I know it sounds cocky, but I think I'm good on that.
    I'm going to consult a trainer, because really, wtf do I know?
  • IDeserveBetter
    Options
    Also, I'm not reading this as people trying to be discouraging at all; more like people having a less than complete picture of the whole thing. I know we all think we are special in general, but I don't think c25k is the right choice here. I AM breaking my runs down to 3x a week, one shortish, one sprints/walk fo 30 minutes and a weekend long run. Pole dancing and yoga in between
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Also, I'm not reading this as people trying to be discouraging at all; more like people having a less than complete picture of the whole thing. I know we all think we are special in general, but I don't think c25k is the right choice here. I AM breaking my runs down to 3x a week, one shortish, one sprints/walk fo 30 minutes and a weekend long run. Pole dancing and yoga in between

could do step up to 10K then, and start off on the week you that best fits where you currently are, then follow that for progression
  • IDeserveBetter
    Options
    Your BMI is above 30 and your pace is 12-13 minutes per mile, i doubt majority of the fit females can run that pace with 50-60 pounds on strap on their back. If your BMI went down to the low 20s, i guarantee you will halve that pace and run in the 7 minute mile pace as your cruising speed.

I've read this post over and over.
    I'm not quite sure if I'm missing something or if you are under explaining.
    Yeah, I'm heavier than I want to be, but I'm not especially complaining about times on my run. Feels slow, but making progress. The '50-60 pounds strapped on your back' confuses me.
    Are you saying that based on my current fitness, as the weight drops the speed will already be improved, or am I reading this wrong? Huh?
  • IDeserveBetter
    Options
    io7e5y1bmuww.png

Progress.
    I'll take it.
    This wasn't run/walk either.
    I'm awfully impressed with myself.

.....turns out that spite and anger are a huge motivator for me.
    We use the tools we have.