Options

Replies

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    NovusDies wrote: »
    RAinWA wrote: »
    I have resisted buying the Reeses peanut butter eggs so far. Maybe because I found a great deal on peanut butter Christmas trees the first of the year and still have some (I am ashamed at how many but they were 10 cents each) in my freezer.

I did, however, dye my hard boiled eggs for the week. Looks pretty in my lunch bag!

I won't eat a non standard cup reeeses. I miss the ridges and the chocolate to pb filling ratio is off when you change the shape.

This This This! Everyone thinks I’m crazy when I say I don’t like the Reese’s Eggs.

I do like Reese’s miniatures though. Ridges plus a slightly better chocolate to PB ratio. Especially when frozen.

I don't know why anyone would think it is crazy. If you change the amount of ingredients in a recipe you change the final flavor. Also, if you change the temperature of something you change the intensity of the flavor. Everyone around here seems to get excited about ice cold watermelon but it tastes sweeter at room temperature or warmer.

Reeses eggs are not as good. They are not 'spit them out horrible' but they are meh like eating the off brand peanut butter cups. I won't eat one again under normal circumstances. They are not worth the calories.
  • Arizona_C
    Arizona_C Posts: 1,476 Member
    Options
    82EC wrote: »
    Generous colleagues and family have been giving me Easter eggs. Just wondering how it’s best to eat them: small portions everyday for months on end or all at once over Easter and then work off the extra weight afterwards?
    What are your thoughts?

I think the most important is to keep the upper hand in your mindset.

If you feel joy of eating it all in one go, then setting off with a clean plate the day after, thats great.

If you keep a sweet little treat daily that fits into your macros, and it makes you feel good about our eating, then its perfectly fine as well.

As long as you don't let any Easter chocolate bring you down. Neither as a destructive, one day binge that bombs you back to a land of despair. Neither as little nasty eggs that snack away your discipline day by day.

Keep it something positive. Something you like, brings you joy and makes you feel at top of the game.

• 1BlueAurora
    1BlueAurora Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Assuming you're talking about candy, last Halloween I ate some small snack size chocolate bars for a couple days. Then I looked at the remaining bowl full and decided to throw it all away. It was cathartic!
  • Dreamwa1ker
    Dreamwa1ker Posts: 196 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    I have resisted buying the Reeses peanut butter eggs so far. Maybe because I found a great deal on peanut butter Christmas trees the first of the year and still have some (I am ashamed at how many but they were 10 cents each) in my freezer.

I did, however, dye my hard boiled eggs for the week. Looks pretty in my lunch bag!

I won't eat a non standard cup reeeses. I miss the ridges and the chocolate to pb filling ratio is off when you change the shape.

This This This! Everyone thinks I’m crazy when I say I don’t like the Reese’s Eggs.

I do like Reese’s miniatures though. Ridges plus a slightly better chocolate to PB ratio. Especially when frozen.

Have you guys ever had Costco's Kirkland Signature peanut butter cups? I can't go back to Reese's - the peanut butter is so much creamier on the Costco ones. https://www.costco.ca/Kirkland-Signature,-Peanut-Butter-Cups,-1.13-kg.product.100469453.html
  • Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    "Do you have Easter egg hunts, and if so, what are you hunting for?" Yes we have Easter egg hunts; still chocolate though. I think it's a more modern thing, pushed by chocolate companies - we certainly didn't have hunts when I was growing up, but my parents could just afford an Easter egg for each of us. There wasn't the variety of eggs that there are these days either. My sister usually organises an egg hunt for her grandchildren - you can buy packs of eggs that are about the size of a hen's egg, specifically for Easter Egg Hunts. I don't recall ever seeing painted eggs, so clearly chocolate was the thing in the UK by the 1970s.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options

I don't know why anyone would think it is crazy. If you change the amount of ingredients in a recipe you change the final flavor. Also, if you change the temperature of something you change the intensity of the flavor. Everyone around here seems to get excited about ice cold watermelon but it tastes sweeter at room temperature or warmer.

Reeses eggs are not as good. They are not 'spit them out horrible' but they are meh like eating the off brand peanut butter cups. I won't eat one again under normal circumstances. They are not worth the calories.

I think the ice-cold watermelon thing is just a hold-over from the days before refrigeration. If you could find a swiftly running stream coming down from higher elevations and stick your watermelons in for a few hours, they'd be nice and cold and refreshing when you pulled them out and cut into them, and possibly the only thing being served at a summer picnic or celebration that was below 80 degrees F.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    I’m not a huge chocolate fan, with one exception Cadbury eggs. I could eat 20 in one sitting if I had them. Thank God, I don’t.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,992 Member
    Options
    Regardless of the egg, chocolate or boiled, etc I would give them away. Donate if you can, take them to work and drop them in the kitchen, give them to neighbors, etc. No need to have this dangling in front of your face! Good luck to you!

Why?

Why not enjoy them in controlled amounts??

( assuming you like them in first place of course - but if you don't, the dangling in front of your face would not be a temptation)
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Regardless of the egg, chocolate or boiled, etc I would give them away. Donate if you can, take them to work and drop them in the kitchen, give them to neighbors, etc. No need to have this dangling in front of your face! Good luck to you!

Why?

Why not enjoy them in controlled amounts??

( assuming you like them in first place of course - but if you don't, the dangling in front of your face would not be a temptation)

Plus, they're in controlled amounts by definition, even if you eat a lot of them. They are around once a year, so you don't really get to overeat them consistently.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,992 Member
    Options
    Well, yes, that too.

I was meaning more have a little bit a day over time, fitting it into your calorie allowance.

That's what I do with any box of chocolates or blocks of chocolate I get any time. ( Christmas, birthdays, buy them for myself just because)
  • sytchequeen
    sytchequeen Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    " I don't recall ever seeing painted eggs, so clearly chocolate was the thing in the UK by the 1970s.

as a kid in the 70s in Northern England we certainly decorated hens eggs. I remember one way we did it used onions - I will have to look that up. I'm sure we dyed the eggshells using onion skin somehow, after "blowing" the egg out.

• amskinner87
    amskinner87 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I have just bought myself an Easter egg (chocolate with a Cadburys cream egg) and plan on eating it all in one sitting when I reach my next scale target (I have a goal/reward every 2-4lb).

I considered eating it across 3 days and fitting it into my calorie goals, but know that, for me, that will diminish the pleasure considerably.

But then again I never have days where I 'cheat' normally or go above my deficit so this is a rare treat.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    And when I was at school (90s, North East England) we used to have competitions where we (realistically probably our parents) would decorate boiled eggs. Normally would involve painting them but also incorporating them into some kind of model with an egg pun in the title.

I.e. 'egg and spoon race' where the egg was the head of a person doing an egg and spoon race - complete with little egg on spoon.

I always thought they were awesome.

That is awesome. We'd mostly just use these pre-packaged kits (US, 70s and 80s), but when I was a bit older we'd try blowing out the insides and then painting them. Didn't do models, but that seems fun.

Martha Stewart weighs in: https://www.marthastewart.com/275369/decorating-easter-eggs

Eggs aside, they do have Peep contests here, but I don't recall them from when I was a kid:

https://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/special-issues/article/21064908/2019-peeps-diorama-contest-winners

http://mentalfloss.com/article/94017/20-funny-and-clever-peeps-dioramas

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/culture-desk/european-sugar-sculptures-victorian-miniatures-and-the-peeps-diorama
  • keenest37
    keenest37 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Bought Easter candies yesterday for my daughter & husband. Was shocked how very high in caloried this stuff is!!
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    nowine4me wrote: »
    I’m not a huge chocolate fan, with one exception Cadbury eggs. I could eat 20 in one sitting if I had them. Thank God, I don’t.

Seconded.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »
    nowine4me wrote: »

Seconded.

Thirdeded.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    I have just bought myself an Easter egg (chocolate with a Cadburys cream egg) and plan on eating it all in one sitting when I reach my next scale target (I have a goal/reward every 2-4lb).

I considered eating it across 3 days and fitting it into my calorie goals, but know that, for me, that will diminish the pleasure considerably.

But then again I never have days where I 'cheat' normally or go above my deficit so this is a rare treat.

It’s not humanly possible to eat 1/3 of a Cadbury cream Egg. NOT. POSSIBLE. I defy anyone to challenge that! :D