Regionally specific healthy foods from around the world

Replies

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 14,141 Member
    edited April 2019
    vanityy99 wrote: »
    AliNouveau wrote: »
    Here in Canada our best foods are definitely not healthy.

I guess in the fall we have an abundance of apples
    summer we have the best peaches from Niagara
    If you go to any maple syrup festival you will learn maple sap is very high in calcium

Sadly Canada is more known for poutine and beavertails and beer and nanaimo bars and butter tarts. not at all healthy haha

That makes Canada sound so sad. Thank God it’s so multicultural, can find different cultures of food anywhere.

Well, that's the thing that throws me a bit. These days you can find ALMOST* any culture's best dishes in any large city... or so it appears to me given my Vancouver, BC perspective :lol: And any dish or food can be more or less healthy depending on preparation, your needs, and quantity and frequency eaten.

*well, at least a small sample of them...
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    When you visit western Canada have yourself some Sakatoon berries.

https://prairieberries.com/health-nutrition/
  • PAV8888
    jgnatca wrote: »
    When you visit western Canada have yourself some Sakatoon berries.

https://prairieberries.com/health-nutrition/

You need to buy an extra "s" :wink:
  • vanityy99
    vanityy99 Posts: 2,583 Member
    Here’s a dish from Portugal it’s called cozido. It’s a bunch of meats, beef , chicken, pork, smoked sausages, with cabbage and some veggies, potatoes. Very nutritious and yummy.

yztksacaggys.jpeg
  • vanityy99
    vanityy99 Posts: 2,583 Member
    edited April 2019
    PAV8888 wrote: »

If you go to any maple syrup festival you will learn maple sap is very high in calcium

Sadly Canada is more known for poutine and beavertails and beer and nanaimo bars and butter tarts. not at all healthy haha

That makes Canada sound so sad. Thank God it’s so multicultural, can find different cultures of food anywhere.

Well, that's the thing that throws me a bit. These days you can find ALMOST* any culture's best dishes in any large city... or so it appears to me given my Vancouver, BC perspective :lol: And any dish or food can be more or less healthy depending on preparation, your needs, and quantity and frequency eaten.

I’ve been living in Canada my whole life and the first thing that pops into my head is Tim hortons when someone asks a question like this, What is a Canadian dish for real?
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited April 2019
    Many traditional foods are "best foods" because they usually contain nutritious ingredients. Last year I did an experiment. I went to google translator and started going through the languages one by one, searching for recipes for each and choosing what looked appealing to me. It was really interesting, you should try it. For example, the first language is Afrikaans, so my first search was "South African traditional foods". (for what it's worth, my choice for that was chakalaka and I loved it)

ETA: just read the explanation. Before traveling somewhere, just do some search food doods in that area. If you pick something that has vegetables, it's guaranteed to be nutritious. If you're ever in the Levant area, try "Mujadara". If you can find the kind made with bulgur, not rice (because it has such a rich taste). It's very nutritious, filling, and tastes absolutely amazing. It has lentils, bulgur (or rice), and caramelized onions. It's usually eaten with yogurt and salad.
  • PAV8888
    edited April 2019

I’ve been living in Canada my whole life and the first thing that pops into my head is Tim hortons when someone asks a question like this, What is a Canadian dish for real?

Other than poutine? I dunno that there exist many uniquely Canadian AND somewhat wide-spread foods.

But, by the same token, I can walk out and have a fast food chain burger, or pho, or Vietnamese salad rolls, or spring rolls, or Chinese dumplings, or rice or noodles, or an independent store burger, or a smoothie, or a hot dog, or multinational coffee shop's food selection, or a sandwich bar, or cafeteria salad bar and hot foods, or sushi, or kebabs within 500m of my house.

And within 3.2km you can add to that Fish and Chips, Thai, Malaysian, Mexican, Indian, Filipino, Ethiopian, Greek, Italian, more sushi, the Mongolie grill I guess counts as Chinese, the food fair at the mall, the chocolate place at the mall, the gelato place at the quay, multiple pizza places, a salad bowl chain, a poutine and maple ice cream place, multiple pubs, fast food chains including KFC, Wendy's, Burger King, McD's, Tim Horton's, Subway, 7-11, ... crap... I can't even keep track! And all of them offer the option of being able to fit them as different puzzles in your day depending on what you choose to eat and how you ask them to prepare it.

And I am not even downtown -- I am just in a working class burb in Greater Vancouver.

*doesn't mean that I consider all these places to offer good food or good values; but they do exist and obviously SOME people find them to their liking even if *I* don't!
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,076 Member
    @jonaseva5252 , it's been three days. Are you ever going to come back and clarify what you mean by healthy foods and whether there are any specific countries or regions you're interested in? It would probably give the thread a much more helpful direction for you.
  • magnusthenerd
    magnusthenerd Posts: 1,207 Member
    Many traditional foods are "best foods" because they usually contain nutritious ingredients. Last year I did an experiment. I went to google translator and started going through the languages one by one, searching for recipes for each and choosing what looked appealing to me. It was really interesting, you should try it. For example, the first language is Afrikaans, so my first search was "South African traditional foods". (for what it's worth, my choice for that was chakalaka and I loved it)

ETA: just read the explanation. Before traveling somewhere, just do some search food doods in that area. If you pick something that has vegetables, it's guaranteed to be nutritious. If you're ever in the Levant area, try "Mujadara". If you can find the kind made with bulgur, not rice (because it has such a rich taste). It's very nutritious, filling, and tastes absolutely amazing. It has lentils, bulgur (or rice), and caramelized onions. It's usually eaten with yogurt and salad.

Cool, amusedmonkey said I can have as much vegetable tempura as I want, it is nutritious. ;)
  • PAV8888

Cool, amusedmonkey said I can have as much vegetable tempura as I want, it is nutritious. ;)

Nutritious does not mean lacking in calories.
  • magnusthenerd
    magnusthenerd Posts: 1,207 Member

;) does not mean serious.
    Technically, calorie dense foods are incredibly nutritious - they can't be high in calories without being high in macronutrients.
    But let's just assume we're both speaking for the audience instead of each other.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member

Tell me about it. :(
    I had to take a maintenance day today because I had tahini cauliflower for lunch.
  • rickiimarieee
    rickiimarieee Posts: 2,212 Member
    Farming is pretty big where I’m from. It’s a very country state except a few places. Corn (bread and butter corn which is white and yellow) is probably the most sold around here. It’s sold along the roads, sold outside the grocery stores in pick up trucks. It’s sold everywhere.
    But other than that, there’s not much special going on in Pennsylvania (United States)
  • rickiimarieee
    Fishing is also big here as well.
  • rickiimarieee
    I traveled to the Bahamas for half a month and the fruit down there I never heard of. It’s called a dilly, it’s super super sweet fruit kinda like a mango. An unhealthy dish I would recommend trying is fried conch. And also rum cake is huge there. They make it VERY strongly.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member

Other than poutine? I dunno that there exist many uniquely Canadian AND somewhat wide-spread foods.

But, by the same token, I can walk out and have a fast food chain burger, or pho, or Vietnamese salad rolls, or spring rolls, or Chinese dumplings, or rice or noodles, or an independent store burger, or a smoothie, or a hot dog, or multinational coffee shop's food selection, or a sandwich bar, or cafeteria salad bar and hot foods, or sushi, or kebabs within 500m of my house.

And within 3.2km you can add to that Fish and Chips, Thai, Malaysian, Mexican, Indian, Filipino, Ethiopian, Greek, Italian, more sushi, the Mongolie grill I guess counts as Chinese, the food fair at the mall, the chocolate place at the mall, the gelato place at the quay, multiple pizza places, a salad bowl chain, a poutine and maple ice cream place, multiple pubs, fast food chains including KFC, Wendy's, Burger King, McD's, Tim Horton's, Subway, 7-11, ... crap... I can't even keep track! And all of them offer the option of being able to fit them as different puzzles in your day depending on what you choose to eat and how you ask them to prepare it.

And I am not even downtown -- I am just in a working class burb in Greater Vancouver.

*doesn't mean that I consider all these places to offer good food or good values; but they do exist and obviously SOME people find them to their liking even if *I* don't!

Poutine and moose milk! My favorite day of the year is the Canadian/UK/Aussie Christmas party at work (authorized drinking shenanigans)
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,076 Member
    Farming is pretty big where I’m from. It’s a very country state except a few places. Corn (bread and butter corn which is white and yellow) is probably the most sold around here. It’s sold along the roads, sold outside the grocery stores in pick up trucks. It’s sold everywhere.
    But other than that, there’s not much special going on in Pennsylvania (United States)

Shoo-fly pie. Scrapple. Cheese steaks. Soft pretzels.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited April 2019

Indeed. One of my favorite takeout options is Ethiopian, which is often vegetable based (depending on how I'm eating I might do collards and cabbage/carrots and spinach and lentils or sub the lentils for some sort of meat). It's awfully high cal, though. So would OP consider that healthy? We have no idea, sigh. Similarly, I enjoy a few local tapas places, and they will often have foods I consider healthy (lots of seafood, veg, olives, etc.) but are also quite high cal. So healthy or no?

Someone else identified a meal that seemed pretty sausage-based as healthy, whereas I almost joked and said my local cuisine was largely German (I live in an area of Chicago that is traditionally German and my main grocery is a German meat market with vegetables and many other foods too), and clearly the huge variety of sausages on offer won't qualify. So who knows. I would like to get more info from OP.

Talking about different dishes and cuisines is fun, however.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member

Poutine and moose milk! My favorite day of the year is the Canadian/UK/Aussie Christmas party at work (authorized drinking shenanigans)

So what is moose milk? (I ask this as someone who lived in Anchorage for a time and had moose in our yard quite often.) Is this some drink or brand of beer? Not literal, I assume?