Just started the couch to 5K and...

Options
finally started the couch to 5K (a steady approach)...been a while since I did long distance, what a difference it makes with some good tunes to run to :)....

I've only just started but whilst I'm jogging I'm getting pains down my shins, and wondered if there was a reason for this?...I am currently running on hard ground as the fields around me are uneven...I'm only taking it steady (novice) but would like to become more serious with it as I progress....

Any tips, comments are welcome thanx :)

Replies

• hananah89
    hananah89 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    You need to take it even slower. It took awhile for my shin splints to go away, and even now still get them occasionally. It took a lot of time going slow and adding cross training and weight training to build my leg muscles. For now you can just ice them and take it easy. If they hurt, don't push it.
  • FrankieB127
    FrankieB127 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you might have shin splits, totally normal for someone just getting into running. Putting ice on your legs after a run will help ease the pain, as well as something like Icy Hot, Ben Gay, or Tiger Balm. I think there are also some simple exercises you can do to help relieve shin split pain (I've seen some on Pinterest and I'm sure you could Google search for some). Happy running!
  • MsAnn07
    MsAnn07 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I'm starting this again. :)
    Tips:
    Good shoes
    Good music
    Push yourself when you want to quit!!
    Make it a priority!
    Good luck to the both of us.
  • carterjerm
    Options
    You maybe need a new pair of shoes... It's amazing what a difference good running shoes makes. Personally I use Asics.
  • scottgobuck
    scottgobuck Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Shoes would be the first thing I would take care of. Go to a running store (Fit2Run) is a good one in my area. Have them do a gait analysis and they can recommend a good shoe for you. The key to shoes is not wearing what other people wear , I wear Brooks Ravenna but its a shoe with more stability because of my gait, I would not recommend that for everyone but for me it has helped me stay injury free since I switched.

After you shoes, make sure you do try to do too much too fast. Running is a progression sport and if you push too hard too fast you WILL hurt yourself so go at your own pace but at the same time you have to push yourself as well. I am very competitive and I like to win so I push myself hard but I pull back at times so I dont injury myself.

I started running 3 years ago and have done well over 100 races and medaled in over 75% of them including winning my age group or better in every race the last 6 months so I know a little about what I am talking about, please if you need help feel free to ask.
  • scottgobuck
    scottgobuck Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Shoes would be the first thing I would take care of. Go to a running store (Fit2Run) is a good one in my area. Have them do a gait analysis and they can recommend a good shoe for you. The key to shoes is not wearing what other people wear , I wear Brooks Ravenna but its a shoe with more stability because of my gait, I would not recommend that for everyone but for me it has helped me stay injury free since I switched.

After you shoes, make sure you do try to do too much too fast. Running is a progression sport and if you push too hard too fast you WILL hurt yourself so go at your own pace but at the same time you have to push yourself as well. I am very competitive and I like to win so I push myself hard but I pull back at times so I dont injury myself.

I started running 3 years ago and have done well over 100 races and medaled in over 75% of them including winning my age group or better in every race the last 6 months so I know a little about what I am talking about, please if you need help feel free to ask.
  • Sonj1973
    Sonj1973 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Thanx Chap and chapesses much appreciated....I am going fairly steady, not trying to push it, That's why I was puzzled with the pain...!!

I tend to put my heel down first when I run, and although I've been running in Reboks, I think after this I should maybe invest in something that has a little more cushioning in the heel of my shoe to act as a shock absorber....Ice packs a great idea too will keep some in the freezer.. :)

Just started using weights, for strength so again Thanx all for the feed back much appreciated :)