Best way to calculate how many calories I need to lose weight

Options
What is the best on line tool or calculator? I've searched via google and they are all different- varying between 1300-1800. Thanks

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,069 Member
    Options
    Why not use MFP's calculator with your activity level chosen correctly and a sustainable rate of loss?

lc3osmkp4gu0.jpg
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    What is the best on line tool or calculator? I've searched via google and they are all different- varying between 1300-1800. Thanks

What does MFP give you when you enter your stats, activity level before exercise, and a reasonable weekly weight loss goal? (generally, 2 lbs/week is only for those with 75+ lbs to lose)

Most find MFP's calculations to be pretty spot-on.
  • lauragreenbaum
    lauragreenbaum Posts: 1,017 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Ok I found it. Thanks
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Sharon_C wrote: »
    A great fitness/nutrition coach gave me some advice that I follow. Multiply your weight by 10 or 12. If you multiply by 10 that is your cutting calories. Multiply by 12, you're still cutting, just doing it slower.

I have to say it works perfectly for me. I weigh 165 and I lose 1 pound a week eating 1650 calories.

Edited to add: Do not add exercise calories back to these numbers

Except that even at 10 I would be eating maintenance calories and not losing any which is the problem with these old hacks. Why not just use MFP or if you want to go TDEE use one of the many available calculators on the internet?
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,009 Member
    Options
    A great fitness/nutrition coach gave me some advice that I follow. Multiply your weight by 10 or 12. If you multiply by 10 that is your cutting calories. Multiply by 12, you're still cutting, just doing it slower.

I have to say it works perfectly for me. I weigh 165 and I lose 1 pound a week eating 1650 calories.

For me, 12 times my weight in pounds would be such a small deficit, I would lose less than 2 pounds a year if I didn't add intentional exercise. Maybe your coach's advice was good for you, but it doesn't make it good advice universally. It's so easy to use the MFP calculator, or a different online calculator if you prefer the TDEE approach, that there's no need to rely on some generic rule that only consider one of the many factors that affect how many calories you burn. And an approach that says a tall person training for a marathon who is only slightly overweight should consume the same calories as someone a half-foot shorter who, at the same weight, is obese and is sedentary ... well, that's not that helpful.
  • sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    Options

If I did this I would be super under-nourished. At 122lb * 10 = 1220 calories. Plus my usual daily burn of 400-1400 from exercise and I’d be in trouble by not eating back exercise calories.

As others have said, the coach’s advice may work for some people at certain weights but could be really poor advice for others. Its not a good ‘one size fits all’ recommendation.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

Hmmm - at 170lbs multiplying by 10 would have me losing at almost 4lbs a week. x 12 would have me losing at about 3lbs a week. I would have to get to a multiple of 20 to maintain. I hope your coach only used this method with very careful consideration of the individual because as a general recommendation it's badly flawed especially if someone does a high volume of exercise and/or is very active.

OP - first decide how you want to account for your exercise.

Use MyFitnessPal if you want a variable daily calorie goal that fluctuates in line with your exercise.
    Use a TDEE calculator (I like the one on sailrabbit that uses several different formulae) if you prefer a same every day calorie goal.
  • emilysusana
    emilysusana Posts: 416 Member
    Options

If I followed this and didn’t add exercise calories back on some days...
    136 lbs x 10 = 1360 calories a day.
    Burn from 10 mile run: roughly 900 calories.
    Net calories consumed: 460.
    Even with the slower loss rate multiplier: net 732.

I’d starve.

• Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Use MFP's goals for a month, eating back some if not all exercise calories. Be entirely honest with your logging. Adjust goals as needed after that.