Needing a little support if you have it to offer

Options
Deanthedog
Deanthedog Posts: 122 Member
Hit 300lbs couple years back and have slowly lost 20lb but looking at wanting to lose another 80lbs, I have recently stopped doing home workouts and gym because life got in the way but I'm eager to get back on it so have changed all my goals to coincide with life and wanting like minded people to start, continue or anyone offering support to chat, add or share some good recipes to help me along the way, hope to hear from any one that takes the time to read or respond to my post :)

Replies

• jan110144
    jan110144 Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    It's good that you are factoring in "real life". There is a delicate balance between letting "life" become an excuse for not moving forward and setting oneself up for failure by ignoring realitjes.

What has worked for me is to pick a way of eating that I feel that I can maintain forever ( so ... no extremes, just good, healthy food in moderation.)

On the exercise front I started with just what I liked to do most and added other elements, one at a time, over time. I do have a "minimum" amount of exercise that is non-negotiable every day. So, on days when life interferes I just do this. The rest of the time I do more ... as much as time and energy allow.

Consistency. not perfection. Is what counts.
  • Deanthedog
    Options
    jan110144 wrote: »
    It's good that you are factoring in "real life". There is a delicate balance between letting "life" become an excuse for not moving forward and setting oneself up for failure by ignoring realitjes.

What has worked for me is to pick a way of eating that I feel that I can maintain forever ( so ... no extremes, just good, healthy food in moderation.)

On the exercise front I started with just what I liked to do most and added other elements, one at a time, over time. I do have a "minimum" amount of exercise that is non-negotiable every day. So, on days when life interferes I just do this. The rest of the time I do more ... as much as time and energy allow.

Consistency. not perfection. Is what counts.

Hello there and you are right some might see it as an excuse but it was a bathroom renovation that had us starting early and finishing late so I struggled to get a workout in,

Ye i understand the importance of positive changes that you can stick too, last year I decided to cook more home meals for the family and have stuck to that but trying to please everyone is quite hard

Yes I was doing a 30min hit workout at 6 days a week and then hitting weights 3 times a week for around 40 min and was enjoying it so will probably implement them back in but not wanting to take to much on and get overwhelmed

Thank you for the response.
  • jan110144
    jan110144 Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    Sorry if it sounded like I was accusing you of "making excuses". My comment was intended to be general, not targeted.

I know that at times I use life circumstances as a "reason" when. If I am honest with myself, it was more of an excuse (i.e. it was challenging but really did not exclude a more healthy respinse). It was realizing this that led me to come up with the "non-negotiable" exercise. This is 20 minutes of key exercises I can do anywhere (no special equipment required). That said, I have skipped it when I have been sick :smile:

Again, sorry if it sounded like I was being judgemental. Not my intent.
  • Deanthedog
    Options
    Hey no I know you wasn't targeting me at all my response was just a general one back, I know some would say it was an excuse and just get it done,

That sounds awesome what are the exercises you do? , everyone is entitled to reat when they are ill so dont be hard on your self for that

No need for the appolagy at all thanks for taking the time to respond
  • Efsim
    Efsim Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Hey, I am getting back to consistent exercise and eating healthier.
    I have noticed if I make a detailed gym and cardio schedule then I follow it better so example: this week I ran Monday morning outside then hit the gym for back and ab workout Tuesday I ran a short run and did leg weights at gym, Wednesday was rest from cardio but did shoulder back and chest at gym, Thursday was rest from gym but a run/ walk cardio day with stairs, today I need to run and do arm weights, tomorrow biking and mixture of weights ( what I struggle with the most) and Sunday is just going for a walk.
    I love making my
    Lunch on Sunday for week: I make jar salads which are amazing and healthy ( I don’t like meat that much so I use black beans but lunch meat works) if you’d like more info add me and it’s in my meal section
    I’m still needing to work in eating better that is my biggest downfalls hopefully that helps
  • jfowler97
    jfowler97 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    We are our own worse enemies when it comes to being healthy! Life is hard. I start work at 6AM daily (I don't eat my first meal until 2PM, I'm on an Intermittent Fasting schedule), but I tell you I'm so tired by 5PM that all I want is pyjamas and pizza. It's good you're eager to get back into it, though!
  • Deanthedog
    Options
    Efsim wrote: »
    Hey, I am getting back to consistent exercise and eating healthier.
    I have noticed if I make a detailed gym and cardio schedule then I follow it better so example: this week I ran Monday morning outside then hit the gym for back and ab workout Tuesday I ran a short run and did leg weights at gym, Wednesday was rest from cardio but did shoulder back and chest at gym, Thursday was rest from gym but a run/ walk cardio day with stairs, today I need to run and do arm weights, tomorrow biking and mixture of weights ( what I struggle with the most) and Sunday is just going for a walk.
    I love making my
    Lunch on Sunday for week: I make jar salads which are amazing and healthy ( I don’t like meat that much so I use black beans but lunch meat works) if you’d like more info add me and it’s in my meal section
    I’m still needing to work in eating better that is my biggest downfalls hopefully that helps

Thanks for the response I fell off the wagon again but used my time away following some insightful people in the fitness industry so feel I have a better understanding of nutrition now ...will send you that add now
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Best of luck to you on your journey. We'll be here to offer support. ☺
  • Deanthedog
    Options
    Thanks @LyndaBSS