meal replacement shakes

Options
i started on monday with a meal replacement shake... as i dont cook at night. .my daughter has already eaten when i pick her up.. and usually this is when i snack and binge and just indulge with whatever i can find...

i found now that im using it.. im not battling

but would like to hear what your views are on meal replacement shakes

im using Ensure

Replies

• mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert but I'm guessing you will get bored with them. I'd consider some sort of rotational scheme so that you don't burn out. How about an experimental recipe once a week?
  • Bubblywendy
    Bubblywendy Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I bought a whole lot about 1-2 months ago but I don't follow the plan ( and didnt intend to ) .
    I take them about 3 -4 times a week and only to replace lunch.

It's basically a low cal snack, most of them won't have fat burning properties in itself. Ofcourse if u only have the shakes as ur predominant calorie intake your going to lose weight but for most, a liquid diet just ain't satisfipying enough. If you could stick to it for about 3 weeks I'm sure you will see a diff in the scales but I think you should do what I do and mix it up with everyday low cal foods to get variety and stay motivated for longer
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    There's nothing inherently wrong with them, just make sure they are giving your the correct vitamins, minerals and calories that you need. What you need will vary depending on what your recent diet has been like.
  • cheriesteenkamp
    Options
    i only use it once a day... so should be ok then :)
  • mamacita721
    mamacita721 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I do this on weekday mornings because I tend to stay in bed until the last possible second. I make my own though with Rockin' Wellness, chocolate protein powder, spinach, frozen strawberries and almond milk. It takes me up to two hours to finish the whole thing and then it is snack time!

So, as long as it is helping to curb your cravings and you are getting proper nutrition/calorie intake, I dont see the problem.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    I am wondering if you are going to do this for the long run or only temporary?
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    I occasionally drink them to replace a meal. Once or twice a year, I'll try to go on a strict diet for 5 to 7 days in which I have two replacement shakes and a dinner with a low-fat protein like chicken and a salad.
  • cheriesteenkamp
    Options
    it does help sofar...wont be using it for long.. i just wanna curb my cravings, and shrink my tummy to the size its suppose to feel full
    so.. its a trial... and sofar i like it
  • jennibear8504
    Options
    I use one in the morning because im not a breakfast person, I just need a kick start, and this way i'm dont binge out at lunch... but i've only been doing it a couple of days, so far so good...
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I think they're fine if you're not hungry etc, what matters is that you still eat your calories/nutrients for the day. I've always used them as snacks more than meals, but again shakeology is the only one I found that actually filled me up enough to be considered a meal.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    it does help sofar...wont be using it for long.. i just wanna curb my cravings, and shrink my tummy to the size its suppose to feel full
    so.. its a trial... and sofar i like it

Best of luck.
  • Mistyvs
    Mistyvs Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I use the Costco Kirkland Weight Loss Shakes. They are so yummy and I'll drink one at breakfast. I don't do it as a "plan" per se, but it's a quick, easy filler for breakfast. I've also been known to zoom up a smoothie or have a Jamba Juice at dinner time. My husband works nights and my son is happy with pbj so I'm not one to cook for myself.
  • jovalleau
    jovalleau Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    For pretty much 6 days a week I use shakes for two meals per day, depending on when I work. I always have one after my workout. Of course, they have lots of protein, creatine, mixed with milk, and I add 1/2 cup of raw oats in a blender, so they come in at about 600 calories each. I add some instant coffee to make a nice mocha shake :)

They aren't for everybody, though.
  • LadyBenihime
    LadyBenihime Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    My husband and I both have been using Slimfast meal bars for breakfast lately.. we get up and immediately head to work at around 3:30am so it's perfect to give us some energy and keep us both satisfied until a couple hours later when I make a real meal for us. I just fit it into my daily calorie amount and treat it more as an early snack..
  • mrshudson813
    mrshudson813 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Personally, I use meal replacement shakes 3-4 times a week. It's nice to be able to grab something on the go that fills you up and keeps you satisfied for a few hours. However, I enjoy chewing food and not just drinking my calories. So, I won't consume more than 3-4 shakes a week. I think you are doing the right thing by using them temporarily to shrink your stomach. Once your stomach shrinks down to where it's suppose to be, you won't have such a hard time getting and staying full. Good luck!
  • lesley1981
    lesley1981 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I've used meal replacement shakes a number of times over the last 3-4 years, mostly for breakfast as sometimes eating in the mornings makes me feel sick. With some shakes, they're nicer HOT... They go a bit thicker when heated and are more filling. I even add a little coffee to the vanilla ones and it turns into a delicious latte :smile:
  • SimonRStacey
    SimonRStacey Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    The only problem I'm finding with meal replacement shakes is that they all seem to have so much sugar in them. I've been using them since day one (a bit over five weeks ago) - some days I don't have them, but usually at least one a day. They fill me up and curb my urge to snack, but my daily sugar intake is way too high! Anybody know a good meal replacement shake that doesn't have over 20g of sugars...?
  • StillStrugglin
    StillStrugglin Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I do use meal replacement bars/shakes when I have been waaaay off the wagon and need to stop bingeing behaviours (ED-style). They do help me settle out my eating patterns until I can get my head on straight enough to start cooking healthy meals again. I agree with those that say they do get boring. :) I use the Atkins shakes/bars because they don't have a lot of sugar. Good luck!

*Wow, nice typing skillz on me.
  • StillStrugglin
    StillStrugglin Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    The only problem I'm finding with meal replacement shakes is that they all seem to have so much sugar in them. I've been using them since day one (a bit over five weeks ago) - some days I don't have them, but usually at least one a day. They fill me up and curb my urge to snack, but my daily sugar intake is way too high! Anybody know a good meal replacement shake that doesn't have over 20g of sugars...?

Check out the Atkins shakes and bars. They are the only ones I've found that have minimal amounts of sugar (which I require, as a post-gastric bypass patient) and also they have nice bunches of protein and a lot of variety! They aren't necessarily a "meal replacement", though, as they don't have many calories. You'll have to also eat some fruit/veggies/other stuffs if you're trying to replace an entire meal.
  • Fattackler2013
    Fattackler2013 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I'm using Slim Fast and I have been for a while. It feels natural to me when I have a shake to replace a meal which is usually Dinner. I'm glad that you're feeling it easier. One you're motivated and in the right mind set then things become a lot easier and ?I?'m speaking from experience because I used to be obsessed with food which was my downfall, however nowadays I'm doing great and I don't think about food in the same way anymore. I wish you the best of luck. You can keep it up :)