Vitamin Question

Options
I regularly take a flax seed and fish oil vitamin and have begun working in a daily multivitamin as well. However, when I take the multivitamin at the same time as the flaxseed/fish oil, I either dry heave or vomit. After a few days of this, I have learned to take them separately, but can someone please explain this reaction for me and give me a head's-up about any other possibly vitamin interactions.

Please and thank you!

Replies

• SageGoddess320
    SageGoddess320 Posts: 2,589 Member
    Options
    Do you take them on an empty stomach? Whenever I take my vitamins without eating first, I'm headed straight to nausea central. :sick:
  • bjlcolwell
    Options
    My words exactly... if it's on an empty stomach, a multivitamin could cause you some trouble. I once thought I was pregnant because I was suffering from morning sickness...but really I had stopped eating breakfast and was taking my multi on an empty stomach...
  • bjlcolwell
    Options
    My words exactly... if it's on an empty stomach, a multivitamin could cause you some trouble. I once thought I was pregnant because I was suffering from morning sickness...but really I had stopped eating breakfast and was taking my multi on an empty stomach...
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Do you actually need a vitamin or are you yet another victim of the ZOMG must eat all the vitamins to be healthy propaganda? (I personally blame breakfast cereal makers for this brainwashing and no doctors ever standing up to this comical overstressing of the value of vitamins).

Vitamins aren't very important at all and aren't something to concern yourself with unless you eat no variety. If you eat a variety from each of the food groups throughout the week chances are virtually nil that you will develop a nutrient deficiency unless you are pregnant or nursing. You can pretty much ignore that vitamins exist and get along just fine. Eat a varied diet and chances are you blow away the RDA every day in everything.
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    I have a different vitamin question that maybe someone here can answer.

I take a daily women's multivitamin but I don't log it. I just looked at my reports and I've been hitting all of my micros without it except for calcium and iron, which are both important to a woman with heavy menstruation such as myself. Are there any supplements I can take that have both so I can replace my multivitamin? I know there's evidence that calcium can reduce the absorption of iron; would it be better to take one in the morning and the other at night?
  • lorid220
    lorid220 Posts: 14
    Options
    Thanks folks! All of your feedback makes sense.
  • jhmomofmany
    jhmomofmany Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I have a different vitamin question that maybe someone here can answer.

I take a daily women's multivitamin but I don't log it. I just looked at my reports and I've been hitting all of my micros without it except for calcium and iron, which are both important to a woman with heavy menstruation such as myself. Are there any supplements I can take that have both so I can replace my multivitamin? I know there's evidence that calcium can reduce the absorption of iron; would it be better to take one in the morning and the other at night?

My midwife recommended I take iron supplement (I just use a prenatal multi) in the a.m. and calcium/magnesium supplement in the p.m. to avoid absorption problems. Iron is difficult for the body to absorb, vitamin C helps.