Two year maintenance anniversary

Options
I post on the Success board every year on this date. Two years ago, I made a healthy BMI. My goal is to be at that and posting here for the rest of my life.

Here's my cross-post for this year:

I joined MFP on my 58th birthday in Dec 2009. I weighed 242.5 pounds. By August 2011, I was at a healthy BMI of 154 pounds. In 2012 I took up running and a year ago weighed 144 pounds. Then I developed plantar faschitis, quit running, took up weight training and stationary rowing. Now I weigh 151.5 pounds and I'm in the best shape of my life for the second year in a row.

This was my post of two years ago of how I did it:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/314505-success-before-sixty

This was my post of last year on what I didn't do:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/707622-how-i-did-not-lose-98-pounds

And this is my blog post of pictures from as far back as when I was 11 years old:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/JeanneTops/view/official-135794

I'm posting here especially to say to those of you who have a lot of weight to lose, who have lost and regained it over and over again and/or who are worried that you're too old to do it again.

You can do it but you have to believe in yourself. I didn't believe I could do it when I started but I did think I could do it for one day. So I focused on just today and I've been focusing on just today ever since.

After two years, I'm just starting to learn what maintenance means. I've had my problems this year: my foot problem, my mother's illness, a couple of major bingeing episodes and some great vacations. I haven't gone over a healthy BMI because I have a great support group here to whom I could confess the eating problems, who inspired me to find new exercise routines, who care enough to listen and whom I care about and with whom I want to be honest.

Now I'm learning that I have to work on my own self-image. I worked hard to stop seeing myself as a fat person, now I have to work hard as seeing myself as someone who always eats responsibly - through vacations, celebrations, trips, injuries and assorted stressful times. I still log everything I eat, I still weigh myself daily, I probably always will. That's ok because, as I've said elsewhere, it's a small price to pay to feel as good, and as good about myself, as I do now.

Remember: just take it one day at a time. Best of luck to you all,
Jeanne

And here are the pics:

2013comparison.jpg

face_58-61.jpg

Replies

• melaniehubbard
    melaniehubbard Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting.I still have alot of weight to lose but its great to know it can be done and maintained.I will take it one day at a time as well. You look awesome!!
  • Tamishumate
    Tamishumate Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    awesome job!!! Big congrats, it has been a pleasure to watch you in your journey , and thank you for always being my cheerleader as well!!
  • nhouse3417
    nhouse3417 Posts: 105
    Options
    Wow, so awesome! You look fantastic!!!
  • trackmyday1973
    trackmyday1973 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    OMG so inspirational :)

I love the part where you say you will post here for the rest of your life.

That is my goal as well.

Great job on the 2 year maintanance :)

WTG :)
  • spfldpam
    spfldpam Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Congrats! Thank you for your wonderful, inspiring post! Continued success to you!
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    You just make me cry, woman--

So proud to be one of those friends--

Congrats, Jeanne!!
  • JeanneTops
    JeanneTops Posts: 2,601 Member
    Options
    awesome job!!! Big congrats, it has been a pleasure to watch you in your journey , and thank you for always being my cheerleader as well!!

Thanks! You were one of my original inspirations and still are! You lead the way and I'm just following in your footsteps.
  • jbirkett7
    jbirkett7 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Awesome and inspiring!! Happy 2 years!
  • ntdrive
    ntdrive Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your awesome accomplishment!
  • Me2FitMe
    Me2FitMe Posts: 1,284 Member
    Options
    Just amazing!!!
  • Noirmwah
    Noirmwah Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Well done! It's nice to see people can use this as a tool to maintain a healthy lifestyle instead of just to lose weight. You are an inspiration. :D
  • annempg
    annempg Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting! This is really inspiring!
  • stephanj
    stephanj Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Happy Anniversary! That is so fabulous, you SHOULD celebrate hanging on to your success and committing to the lifestyle. You look much younger that you say you are, by the way :-)

ETA: Now that I am approaching maintenance, I am really realizing how important this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/707622-how-i-did-not-lose-98-pounds
    information is! It's finally clicking. Can't wait to be you in two years!
  • SJVZEE
    SJVZEE Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for posting! It's great to see someone doing maintenance for a longer amount of time-gives us maintenance newbies hope :happy:
  • Sarahloulalou
    Sarahloulalou Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    What an inspiration

Well done :)
  • coffeepuff
    coffeepuff Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    CONGRATULATIONS!!! What an inspiration! :)
  • Susan111222
    Susan111222 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Congratulations you look fabulous :)
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Congrats!
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    Awesome job!
  • imp8tient1
    Options
    WOW, a whole person gone! You look great and sounds like you are losing the weight in the best way. I gained weight over about 3 years....to my all time high of 213lbs. I'm 56 now and last April decided to join the courthouse. I'm convinced that that weight would not be coming off without the exercises that I do 6-7 days a week. I hit a plateau for 5 weeks, but now am moving down again...now at 182. I feel much better. I have 22-32 to go. Glad to hear you are maintaining, that can be difficult. Congrats to you!!!