Casein Protein pros/cons/thoughts on it?

Options
Anyone have experience with casein protein?

Replies

• psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    If you drink milk... you get an 80% casein/ whey blend already. Casein MAY take longer to break down and absorb vs strait whey. Many bodybuilders use it for a late night protein source. A whey/casein blend is good for baking. Maybe ask more specific questions.
  • SouthernCountryGirl
    SouthernCountryGirl Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Sorry thought my question was fairly straight forward. I’m using it as a bedtime protein. I’ve just begun using it and really like it (much better than most protein powders). I also do protein drinks/bars during the day but ran across the casein, did some research, and decided to try it. I just wondered if it was an asset or not from someone that’s actually used it. Thanks for your reply.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,566 Member
    Options
    Protein gets broken down to amino acids and absorbed regardless of the source. Whether you meet your protein goals during the day or overnight when you sleep is pretty irrelevant. The whole casein before bed is good advertising to sell casein protein and a lot of bodybuilder bought into it. Use it if you like before bed or during the day.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Protein gets broken down to amino acids and absorbed regardless of the source. Whether you meet your protein goals during the day or overnight when you sleep is pretty irrelevant. The whole casein before bed is good advertising to sell casein protein and a lot of bodybuilder bought into it. Use it if you like before bed or during the day.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Agreed about the "sell" to BB. That group of individuals are trying to seek out every last edge they can. That is why I told OP that If they are eating yogurt, milk, cottage cheese, ect... they are already getting casein and that it MAY break down slower.