Protien & Food

galaxythessia8116
galaxythessia8116 Posts: 11 Member
edited April 2019 in Food and Nutrition
Does anybody know how I can reach my protein limit (160-170grams) without eating calorie dense foods. I eat very little which leads to going off my diet and binging. Fish and chicken are sometimes expensive but I really don't like eating. Also body does not process whey very well. (Alien bloating and stomach pains)

Anybody know cheap foods or even one hit wonders that have at least 50 grams of protein?

Sorry goal weight is 140(pure muscle mostly)

Currently am 185
I struggle with the calories since different Macro calculations say slightly different things so I generally try to eat 1200-1500 calories under 100g of carbs and higher fats

I want to be a Bodybuilder/powerlifter but am trying to loose the excess weight of 40 pound's

Nearly all workouts are weightlifting and only 30 mins of cardio (steep hill power walking) 2-3 x a week

Replies

• cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Why do you need so much protein? That seems excessive (and obviously very expensive).
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    160g out of how many calories?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,889 Member
    Your protein goal may be too high. What % of your calories is 160g of protein?

What is your goal weight?
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    What is your goal weight? That seems like a lot of protein if you do not have a high calorie goal.

You're not going to find many foods that pop 50g in a single serving that isn't named chicken. Even most protein shakes don't have that much. Chicken breast is about one of the most protein dense goods out there that you would eat in a normal serving size. 8 oz raw would give you around 50 grams. It's also pretty affordable. Lean ground beef can get you about the same, if you do 93/7, around 9 oz will get you 50 grams. But that's usually a bit more pricey and not quite as protein dense as chicken. Lean steaks are good as well.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Does anybody know how I can reach my protein limit (160-170grams) without eating calorie dense foods. I eat very little which leads to going off my diet and binging. Fish and chicken are sometimes expensive but I really don't like eating. Also body does not process whey very well. (Alien bloating and stomach pains)

Anybody know cheap foods or even one hit wonders that have at least 50 grams of protein?

That's an excessive amount of protein...way overkill.

Protein isn't typically cheap...again, overkill and you're just making expensive glucose.

160-170 grams of protein is going to equate to 640-680 of your calories per day...again, overkill.

To hit that excessive target, you're going to have to eat whether you like to or not.
  • MikePTY
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

That's an excessive amount of protein...way overkill.

Protein isn't typically cheap...again, overkill and you're just making expensive glucose.

160-170 grams of protein is going to equate to 640-680 of your calories per day...again, overkill.

To hit that excessive target, you're going to have to eat whether you like to or not.

There are so many estimates running around the internet about how much protein one needs that a lot of people have misguided ideas about how much protein they should have.

I have a 150 gram protein goal... but that's out of 2400 calories. Someone trying to get more than that out of a smaller goal (which is what it sounds like) is going to be very hard and unnecessary.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    OP, you are basically trying to get half your calories from protein, which would involve eating a lot of meat and protein powder, and many people would find incredibly difficult and unpleasant!

The typical recommendations I see for protein are anywhere from 0.6g of protein per lb of lean mass up to 1 lb. If you don't know your body fat %, you can just figure based on your goal weight. You said yours was 140lbs, so your protein goal could be anywhere from 84g to 140g. And I don't think there's any preponderance of research suggesting hitting that top limit is at all important, unless it's just the way you like to eat.

I'd also suggest you re-examine your calorie goal. With 40ish lbs to lose, choosing a rate of 1 lb per week is probably your best bet, especially if you are concerned with sparing muscle mass while in a deficit. You should also log your exercise and eat back at least some of those calories. Good luck :drinker:
  • MikePTY
    If you are trying to get to bodybuilder shape, you are going to have to walk before you can fly. Your first step should be dropping the excess weight. You'll want to do that in a deficit and eat sufficient protein to maintain muscle mass, but based on your stats, that can really be 80-100 grams per day. Dropping from overweight to bodybuilder in one fell swoop is not really realistic. When you reach your goal weight, you are likely going to have to go through several bulk/cut periods to get to the shape you want. During the bulks, you may be more likely to have that type of protein goal, but it will be as part of a higher calorie goal. It's unnecessary now that you are focusing on regular weight loss.
  • JaimeJaimeM
    JaimeJaimeM Posts: 63 Member
    edited April 2019
    I'm going to attempt to answer this question without jumping on the wagon of "omg that's so much protein, why".

Protein is 4 calories a gram. That is non-negotiable science. So you're staring down the barrel of at LEAST 640 calories of protein every single day.

Some expensive but easy options that won't make you feel like throwing up: IsoPure makes a protein powder that is 25 grams of pure protein - 100 calories. A few scoops a day in some water should even you out. There's also some protein-infused waters you can play around with out there that will help give you an extra 10-20 or so grams a bottle. Egg whites or egg white protein powder is another option that really shaves down any extra crap from getting in your food but it will taste like plastic after a while.
  • TavistockToad
    That much protein is unneccessary.

How did you come up with that calorie goal?
  • LairaKlock
    LairaKlock Posts: 1 Member
    Many resources online recommend 0.85g-1g of protein per 1lbs of weight and the reason for that is because they usually heard it from a different source. But that doesn't exactly make sense, doesn't it? If you wish to maintain muscle with the protein, why do we take into account other components of our body, like fat? To the best of my knowledge, that estimate is made for someone who is at 20% body fat, which isn't useful for anyone who's overweight.

The way I calculated my 100g of protein is by taking my estimated lean mass (US navy formula) and getting 2g of protein per 1kg of lean mass. So far it appears that I'm adding a bit of muscle.
  • galaxythessia8116
    MikePTY wrote: »
    If you are trying to get to bodybuilder shape, you are going to have to walk before you can fly. Your first step should be dropping the excess weight. You'll want to do that in a deficit and eat sufficient protein to maintain muscle mass, but based on your stats, that can really be 80-100 grams per day. Dropping from overweight to bodybuilder in one fell swoop is not really realistic. When you reach your goal weight, you are likely going to have to go through several bulk/cut periods to get to the shape you want. During the bulks, you may be more likely to have that type of protein goal, but it will be as part of a higher calorie goal. It's unnecessary now that you are focusing on regular weight loss.

Ah I see,if it helps am a female and 5/7 but still am considered overweight for my height and it's visible.

I was obsessed with protein because I thought my strength and little visible muscle mass I have will disappear.

But your right, I expect it to take years. If anything I definitely want MUCLE and strength at least. I was hoping a year of serious commitment I would see a drastic change
  • galaxythessia8116

Random online source's and calculation online

Ie-Bodybuilding.com
    Macro calculators online from different sources or following someone who has my ideal body and is my height
  • galaxythessia8116
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Your protein goal may be too high. What % of your calories is 160g of protein?

What is your goal weight?

It's random depending on what I eat when I try to hit that amount. Anything from 45-60 percent
  • galaxythessia8116
    I'm going to attempt to answer this question without jumping on the wagon of "omg that's so much protein, why".

Protein is 4 calories a gram. That is non-negotiable science. So you're staring down the barrel of at LEAST 640 calories of protein every single day.

Some expensive but easy options that won't make you feel like throwing up: IsoPure makes a protein powder that is 25 grams of pure protein - 100 calories. A few scoops a day in some water should even you out. There's also some protein-infused waters you can play around with out there that will help give you an extra 10-20 or so grams a bottle. Egg whites or egg white protein powder is another option that really shaves down any extra crap from getting in your food but it will taste like plastic after a while.

Ah thank you for more food options. I have picky taste buds so am always nervous about trying new protien powder since it's expensive regardless where you get it. Whey protein is just too much for my body to process espy if it's more then one scoop
    Same with protein water. Actually I think I found my problem, am eating too much protien( like everyone is mentioning in the fourm), hence why I get negative physical effects

I also get full so easily
  • TavistockToad

Random online source's and calculation online

Ie-Bodybuilding.com
    Macro calculators online from different sources or following someone who has my ideal body and is my height

you never came across 0.6-0.8g per lb pf body weight?

set MFP to lose 1lb per week, eat back your exercise cals and aim for at least 111g of protein.