How do you meet your Calorie Goal without going over on Protein

Options
Vmizzy
Vmizzy Posts: 5 Member
I am really struggling on meeting my 1200 Calorie goal without going over on Protein. I mean really struggling like 400 Calories under the 1200...I know that can't be good for me or maintainable. I sure would appreciate any advice, tips, or tricks!!!

Thanks

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Macros are personal preference, the MFP defaults are just a good starting point. Most of us try to get more than the MFP protein goal anyway. So don't sweat going over! If anything, look at protein and fat as minimums. :drinker:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Vmizzy wrote: »
    I am really struggling on meeting my 1200 Calorie goal without going over on Protein. I mean really struggling like 400 Calories under the 1200...I know that can't be good for me or maintainable. I sure would appreciate any advice, tips, or tricks!!!

Thanks

The MFP default for protein is actually on the low end..you'd ideally want more while dieting to help preserve muscle mass.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong at all with going over the protein. You need to hit your calories. 800 a day is way to low. Get to 1200 with however many grams of protein you need to get yourself there.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    pay more attention to calories. Going over on protein is not a bad thing for most poeple
  • Vmizzy
    Options
    Thank you all for your quick response...I really appreciate this, I'm new to it and have a ways to go. I wanna do it right... and I'm tired of the YoYo syndrome fosho. Thanks Again!!!
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    i've learnt over the years to keep some food items readily accessible that are primarily one macros - so for carbs - rice is pretty all carbs, limited protein/fat; for protein - its shrimp; for fats - macadamia nuts - then i can tweak as needed
  • Vmizzy
    Options
    This is a lot simpler to manage now :)
  • bobshuckleberry
    bobshuckleberry Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I use a macro diet. It would be extremely hard for me to ever go over on protein.
  • bobshuckleberry
    bobshuckleberry Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Also make sure you are not cutting calories too far. You still want to eat in a healthy manner.
  • todayimstrong322
    todayimstrong322 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    What is your protein goal and is it MFP generated? I always lower my carbs and up my protein that way I can retain lean muscle mass and feel satiated.
  • Mbierschbach
    Mbierschbach Posts: 94 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    I never liked MFP's ratios anyway. I adjust my macros to 20% fats, 40% carbs, 40% protein and that typically comes close to the 1g of protein / lb of lean bodyweight that many recommend (at least for a bodybuilding type diet like mine). YMMV.
  • Vmizzy
    Options
    Thank you for your responses, they have been beneficial. I upped my Protein goal and now I am pretty much in the green. I don't always meet my calorie goal but I am usually only slightly under, and I am feeling much more energized!
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    Sounds good. I adjusted the goals to 40 (carbs)-30-30 when logging at MFP, but mostly I just treat protein as a minimum and ignore the other two goals (I tend to get sufficient fat without worrying about it). For me, some other things, like fiber, were more interesting than carb or fat grams.