Intermittent Fasting

Options
Have you done it before?

How long do you fast? I'm starting at 16 hours.

Pros or cons?

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    IF is an eating schedule. If intermittent fasting helps you eat at a calorie deficit consistently, that's a pro. But for others IF isn't helpful.

There are very few studies, most of the information is along the lines of "this happened to me." The problem with that is we don't lose weight in a vacuum, there are lots of other variables.

Here's a link to a group here:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/49-intermittent-fasting
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,226 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your IF “science experiment” - pick a fasting period window that’ll give you success and, if you want and like IF, increase it if you want.

If you decide it isn’t for you, then what you learned will have made it worth the effort.

We have an Intermittent Fasting group here at MFP. Sto by and say hello and look around. There’s good content there constantly being added.

Wishing you the best.
  • tarun_yadavA
    tarun_yadavA Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    Klarissax3 wrote: »
    Have you done it before?

How long do you fast? I'm starting at 16 hours.

Pros or cons?

Its worked for me. And I've lost c25kgs. (I do other stuff- calorie control, gym etc etc)... but i eat no later than 6.30 & dont eat again till 10.30 am next day. So a good 15-16 hrs
  • GarysGirl81
    GarysGirl81 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I had been following a mainly keto diet and my results were kind of slow so I started doing 18 hour IF. It has impacted my weight loss positively. Which, I have stopped weighing myself and go by how things fit. With that being said, I just started a water fast (no im not encouraging this as it is not safe for everyone but I got the ok and am a medical professional myself). IF can help but it’s not a cure all. For example, my friend did it and gained weight because she literally binged hours she could eat. See what works for you and keep up with calories, macros and micros while trying it out.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    I liked it, and for a time it was exactly what the doctor ordered. Although I didn't follow any IF plans, I just kind of fell into it. I had a problem of late night snacking and by eating several meals prior to dinner, I didn't have many calories left to fit in these snacks. I started skipping breakfast and found my appetite actually suppressed. I then skipped lunch for kind of the same reason, in fact eating lunch often made.
    I had so many calories left in my day by dinnertime that I could indulge in all my urges and it was difficult to go over my calorie limit.
    I have friends who do almost the exact opposite, they tend to eat all their calories before 5pm.

I really like it because it combines strict discipline of just not eating anything, with the freedom of having 2000 calories to eat anything I want!

Lately I have gone back to a more traditional 3 meals a day. Mostly because my wife started waking up earlier and we have enjoyed our breakfasts together, and as often does I migrated to a different eating style.
  • ekbrwz
    ekbrwz Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I kind of do intermittent fasting just by default, because I sleep more than most people, and I don't tend to be hungry late in the evening after dinner.

So, I eat dinner at 6:00 PM, and most nights eat nothing else before bed. Then eat breakfast around 8:00 AM, depending on my schedule for the day, sometimes even later like 9:00 AM.

All this really does is give you less hours in the day when you can be eating. I guess it kinda works.