What is the right macros?

Options
MahShield21
MahShield21 Posts: 544 Member
Hello friends,
Can we discuss here about what is the right macros to transform your body...
That is gain or loose weight to a achieve toned body....
What is ideal protein/fat/carb combination of veg/ non veg diet for male/female at different whether conditions and different age groups....

Replies

• neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    During the last year I have noticed that my macros percentages have changed according to seasons. Winter - a little bit more fat and protein, summer - more carbs, mainly from fruit and vegetables. I have to lose over 70 kg (150 pounds) or more; my macros give me a great amount of food choices and ever changing meal plans so I don't get bored with a specific "diet". I stick to the calorie calculations done by MFP and continue to lose weight slowly. My daily macros are roughly a third each which gives me virtually limitless culinary choices. Now I have to work on portion sizes and portion control...
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    Normal minimum recommendations for fat and protein when losing are

Fat 0.3 grams per pound of body weight
    Protein 0.8 grams per kilo of body weight

If you meet these basic recommendations it really doesn't matter where your macros lie, nor the number of carbs you consume. The more active you are the more variation with these percentages you have. I personally have around double of both fat and protein, but I do fit into the very active category which is why they are so high.
  • MahShield21
    Options
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »

If you meet these basic recommendations it really doesn't matter where your macros lie, nor the number of carbs you consume. The more active you are the more variation with these percentages you have. I personally have around double of both fat and protein, but I do fit into the very active category which is why they are so high.

Thanks for very specific info...
    Only the question is if you double fat and protein...you need proportionate workout otherwise weight will not remain maintained... am I right?
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    There is no right macros. For body composition goals and retaining muscle as you lose, I like to follow these recommendations for macros by grams per lean body mass (or per goal weight).
    Protein: 0.8 to 1g
    Fats: 0.35 to 0.6g
    Carbs: The rest

Keep in mind these are minimums and can be adjusted to personal preference.
  • MahShield21
    Options
    During the last year I have noticed that my macros percentages have changed according to seasons. Winter - a little bit more fat and protein, summer - more carbs, mainly from fruit and vegetables. I have to lose over 70 kg (150 pounds) or more; my macros give me a great amount of food choices and ever changing meal plans so I don't get bored with a specific "diet". I stick to the calorie calculations done by MFP and continue to lose weight slowly. My daily macros are roughly a third each which gives me virtually limitless culinary choices. Now I have to work on portion sizes and portion control...

Great!!
    Seasonal fruits and vegetables should be part of diet along with changes in macros percentage.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,962 Member
    Options

Only the question is if you double fat and protein...you need proportionate workout otherwise weight will not remain maintained... am I right?

If you use the defaults given by this site they will work fine. 50C 30F 20P. When you exercise, you add that exercise into the Exercise tab on the top of the page. You will be given more calories (therefore, higher amounts of each macro, proportionally.) That makes up the differences between sedentary and active people. The macros set on this site are close enough and are set with accepted nutritional guidelines. Use the Protein and Fat as minimum goals to hit or exceed daily. Carbs are not as important as protein and fat.
  • MahShield21
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    There is no right macros. For body composition goals and retaining muscle as you lose, I like to follow these recommendations for macros by grams per lean body mass (or per goal weight).

Right!!
    Protein 0.8 to 1 g per kg of goal weight
    Fats 0.35 to 0.6 g per pound of goal weight
    Carb rest
    (I read somewhere fat should be 20 % minimum of macros)
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options

Right!!
    Carb rest

I prefer to use g since % will vary greatly depending on calorie intake. Imagine the difference between someone on 1200 vs 3500.
  • MahShield21
    Options

If you use the defaults given by this site they will work fine. 50C 30F 20P. When you exercise, you add that exercise into the Exercise tab on the top of the page. You will be given more calories (therefore, higher amounts of each macro, proportionally.) That makes up the differences between sedentary and active people. The macros set on this site are close enough and are set with accepted nutritional guidelines. Use the Protein and Fat as minimum goals to hit or exceed daily. Carbs are not as important as protein and fat.

Okay
    I am basically Indian so carb is high in our diet ( approx 60 to 70)
    I will check if I can limit carb 50~55 and increase protein and fat portion
  • MahShield21
    Options

Right!!
    Carb rest

I prefer to use g since % will vary greatly depending on calorie intake. Imagine the difference between someone on 1200 vs 3500.

Yes if we know minimum g requirement per day is very useful to select food
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options

It doesn't matter what your macros are in regards to weight. It will be retained only if you eat the same number of calories that you burn. If you eat more calories than you burn you will gain weight and if you eat less you will lose weight. Macro percentages are purely for health and satiation. I eat the way I do because I enjoy eating the combinations of foods that I do and because I find these combinations most filling. This enables me to easily maintain my way of eating long term.
  • MahShield21
    Options

It doesn't matter what your macros are in regards to weight. It will be retained only if you eat the same number of calories that you burn. If you eat more calories than you burn you will gain weight and if you eat less you will lose weight. Macro percentages are purely for health and satiation. I eat the way I do because I enjoy eating the combinations of foods that I do and because I find these combinations most filling. This enables me to easily maintain my way of eating long term.

Okay
    I understood
    Now I will keep track with MFP and will do suitable changes in my diet and workout
    Thank you
  • being_fit_101
    being_fit_101 Posts: 16 Member
    Options

Okay

I am currently doing 30-40-30 split (P/C/F)..goal is to build muscle and lose fat. One of the problem with Indian food that i find (i am on the same boat) is difficulty in estimating fat content you are getting. Carb and protein can be estimated with fair accuracy..
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Hello friends,
    Can we discuss here about what is the right macros to transform your body...
    That is gain or loose weight to a achieve toned body....
    What is ideal protein/fat/carb combination of veg/ non veg diet for male/female at different whether conditions and different age groups....

macros are very individual. Gaining weight or losing weight is about calories, not macros. Most people losing weight put a premium on protein...it's also helpful if you're an active person to consume more protein than the RDA (which is a minimum). A lot of people go way overboard with that though too.

One persons ideal macro ratio isn't going to be the same as another. A body builder is going to have a different optimal macro ratio than a marathon runner for example.
  • MahShield21
    Options

Okay

I am currently doing 30-40-30 split (P/C/F)..goal is to build muscle and lose fat. One of the problem with Indian food that i find (i am on the same boat) is difficulty in estimating fat content you are getting. Carb and protein can be estimated with fair accuracy..

Yes you are right
    It's difficult to find right contents of all most all indian food... There is multiple info available on various site with half or wrong info.... Normally I check container details and figure out matching quantity and type of food....but some time very accurate info available with brand name like Amul, haldiram etc.