Watermelon

Options
binkyb00
binkyb00 Posts: 81 Member
Hey guys,

I recently started eating watermelon. Never really liked it before, but my friend said it was bad to eat it on an empty stomach. Is that true? I did get a bad headache like she said I would get, but I wanted to know if this is true.

Replies

• Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    I've never heard that... I've eaten it many times with an empty stomach without any problems.

What was the reason your friend gave you?
  • tcam70455
    tcam70455 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I've never heard that, nor have I ever had a problem eating it even on an empty stomach. When I took a 6 week course in Oaxica, Mexico, I lived with a family there. We had fresh watermelon juice with breakfast every morning. I don't juice it here though.
  • lLauraAnnl
    lLauraAnnl Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    From what I've read, you're supposed to eat fruits prior to eating anything else because it digests faster in your system. I believe you're actually supposed to eat it on an empty stomach.
    Most of that info is base on the "You Are What You Eat" lady, Dr. Gillian McKeith.
  • 1Steph1
    1Steph1 Posts: 145
    Options
    Its just fruit I dont see why. And its high in vitamins!!! Maybe you got a headache cuz its low cal and you needed something more with it . I get headaches when I dont eat enough :)
  • elmct57
    elmct57 Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    some folks have digestive issues with watermelon and cucumbers. however, there are many md posts on the web about eating fruit on an empty stomach to get the maximum benefit and not as dessert at the end of a meal. one is a doctor who treats cancer patients; he mentioned a detox benefit to eating fruit first. interesting. couldn't find anything about harm to yourself from eating the fruit on an empty stomach as your friend claimed.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    Water melon is so delicious in the Summer, high sugar content may have given you the headache, eat a bit of protein when you grab a bit of fruit and you might feel better and avoid any headache issues in the future. It's higher in carbs than some fruits but not necessarily in cals, both do count though.

Enjoy:drinker: :tongue: