Bob Greene's book Make the Connection

Options
2»

Replies

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    joowelz wrote: »
    He acknowledges that in the book. It looks like my synopsis didnt do his book justice. The point he is making is that aerobic exercise 5-7 days a week revs up your metabolism so that you burn more calories throughout the day than you normally would. This, coupled with eating only when hungry and stopping when you are full, is the right way to lose fat in the long run.

If your approach to weight loss consists of only restricting calories, your body will lose muscle along with fat, and you are doing yourself a disservice by slowing down your metabolism.

Of course you burn more calories when you exercise than when you don't. That's not because you're hacking your metabolism, it's because exercise burns calories.

Yup.

And my basis for that is that I exercised 5-6x per week (swimming, cycling, and running) most of the time when losing weight, and haven't seen any particular change in my metabolism. My TDEE, sure, of course.

Lots of people (not all), including me, probably find it easier to not overeat when exercising, in part because you can eat more cals, and in part because you tend to be more focused on fitness and how you feel and that might make you more mindful about food choices. But it's not perfect. I've always found that training for 10Ks and half marathons tend to be helpful for me in controlling cals (same with olympic distance tris and just riding my bike for commuting to work with extra mileage as part of that). But I also find that swimming specifically tends to make me hungrier than the burned calories would justify, and that when I marathon train (or when I trained for a half ironman) I have to be really careful not to overeat. Don't know why, and this is not something I'm claiming is specific to anyone but me.

I also did a fun Backroads biking trip, where we were doing tons of biking per day and lots of hilly rides, and the joke was that everyone gains weight, which in fact I did (not that much).