My scales are not accurate

Options
I have 3 scales at home , and all of them give me different reading in different spots at home ,
For example, if I weighed on the same scale in bathroom the reading on the same scale will differ if i weighed myself in the bedroom or living room on the same scale at the same time .
If I tried other scale to have an avarage or to get a close reading they will do the same (different readings in different areas and at the same time) , sometimes if I moved the scale just a step and weighed it will give me a totally different reading than this step before at the same time.

Don't know what to do to know my exact weight so thay I can be able to calculate my calories and track my progress.

Do you have any idea ? Thanks.

Replies

• Talan79
    Talan79 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    You can stack weights on one. Use a flat surface, not carpet. I use dumbbells on mine occasionally to see if it’s calibrated.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,012 Member
    Options
    No home scale is perfectly calibrated. Pick a scale, pick a flat surface, pick a level of dressed/undressed, pick a time of day. Then stick with all that for the duration. Plus your weight will fluctuate all day due to water weight and digestion changes. You are never really one weight - you are a living thing full of dynamic processes :smile:

The time to worry is when your scale keeps giving you the exact same reading for days at a time - that's a signal your batteries probably need to be changed or your scale has reached it's "replace by" date.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    Same scale, same spot, same time of day.
  • Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    If I move my scale an inch it gives me a different reading. The morning after I've cleaned my bathroom floor my weight is different than the days prior
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,952 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Fflpnari wrote: »
    If I move my scale an inch it gives me a different reading. The morning after I've cleaned my bathroom floor my weight is different than the days prior

and that's why, as I'm sure you'll agree, we use weight trend apps or web sites to observe the change to our weight trend over an appropriate length of time as opposed to relying on individual day to day weigh in data points as meaningful sources of information.
  • ultra_violets
    ultra_violets Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    My mom used to use a 12 lb. bowling ball to test her scales. Get on without it, get on with it, get back off. You can also do it with a 5 lb. bag of sugar or a sleepy cat.
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,088 Member
    Options
    Pick one, leave it in one place, and don’t worry about whether other scales would weigh you different. My scale will give me one # when I step on then a lower # if I step off and back on. It’s super consistent in this way. It doesn’t matter which number is right as long as for weight loss that number is decreasing.
  • Ameeeeeera
    Ameeeeeera Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thanks alot guys will do your advice indeed, your comments are so insightful thanks.