Should a diet break really be six months?

Options
The mfp blog recently posted an article that states one should not lose more than about 5%-10% body weight before taking a diet break, and that the diet break should be six months long. Here is a link to that post for reference (under point 3):

https://blog.myfitnesspal.com/5-ways-to-change-your-set-point-weight/

If six months really is needed for resetting leptin/ghrelin levels, then I suppose I don't have a problem with it. I mean, true maintenance is for life anyway so from that perspective six months is not that long. However, anything else I have read has suggested that two weeks is an adequate amount of time for a full and meaningful diet break. I did take a two week break last January after losing about 8% of my body weight and found it helpful. I also thought I was being pretty conservative at the time about it.

What do y'all think? Are six month breaks really necessary to prevent hormone-induced regain?

Replies

• ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    Set point theory is decades old, and, while biological mechanisms that seem to be in harmony with this idea do exist, they play a minimal role in determining a person's weight. Environment and self control dominate. I really would not spend much energy on the idea of set point theory. Diet breaks, however, are a great idea! 1-2 weeks every 8-13 weeks depending on how lean you are to start with (slower loss, more diet breaks with lower BF%, generally speaking).

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2990627/
    "In a world of abundance, a prudent lifestyle and thus cognitive control are preconditions of effective biological control and a stable body weight. This idea also impacts future genetic research on body weight regulation. Searching for the genetic background of excess weight gain in a world of abundance is misleading since the possible biological control is widely overshadowed by the effect of the environment."
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    Options
    Discover for yourself while keeping a vigilant eye on daily weigh-in and continuing to log your food consumption. Study this information daily, it only takes a few minutes, then decide and act accordingly.

Then write your own article and maybe share it here.

Wishing you the best.
  • avlucia
    avlucia Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I'm very interested in this theory though. Does anyone have any reliable sources on this topic? I tried googling site:.gov and site:.org for "diet break" but didn't find anything that really talked about what it does for your body, my conclusion from that would be: nothing that can be proven - but thought I'd ask anyway.
  • Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I read that and thought it was a joke. I understand a week or 2 at maintenance for a break but any longer......
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    avlucia wrote: »
    I'm very interested in this theory though. Does anyone have any reliable sources on this topic? I tried googling site:.gov and site:.org for "diet break" but didn't find anything that really talked about what it does for your body, my conclusion from that would be: nothing that can be proven - but thought I'd ask anyway.

Check out the link in @sardelsa 's post. There is lots of science in that thread.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    I am not going to read that because... well... mfp blog...

There are some scenarios where a prolonged diet break might be necessary but none that I know of have anything to do with normal healthy weight loss.