Tdee calculator PAL

So I've made posts regarding calories but then I was lingering on the Physical activity factor for the calculators. For example when they say moderately active vs active, what's the difference? They just mention exercise. And on my previous post, a man said he was considered active category even though he didnt work out but just because he would get about 20,000 steps a day. Now heres my PERSONAL average daily activity in a week.
I TRY to workout 5-6 times a week, I TRY to get near 20,000 steps daily, but besides that I'm your typical student living a student lifestyle.

Would I be considered Light Active, Moderately Active, Active, or Very active?

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,753 Member
    edited April 2019
    Are you maintaining your weight now? How accurate is your calorie tracking? How long have been tracking your intake? @PAV8888 ?
  • Talan79
    Talan79 Posts: 782 Member
    How many times you work out has nothing to do with your activity level. Activity level is based on lifestyle. I had seen this before:

Sedentary = less than 5000
    Low activity = ‪5000-7499‬
    Somewhat active = ‪7500-9999‬
    Active = more than 10000
    Highly active = more than 12500

These are steps before intentional exercise.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Talan79 wrote: »
    How many times you work out has nothing to do with your activity level. Activity level is based on lifestyle. I had seen this before:

Active = more than 10000

I've seen this, but to me it seems like you are getting too many calories for your steps. For example, with my BMR, going from lightly active to active gives me about an extra 380 calories, with on average going up about only 2500 steps. Yet if I was to log an hour of walking at 3 miles per hour, which would be about 6000 steps (give or take), it would only give me around 300 calories. I don't think 2500 steps = an extra 20% of your BMR.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    So I've made posts regarding calories but then I was lingering on the Physical activity factor for the calculators. For example when they say moderately active vs active, what's the difference? They just mention exercise. And on my previous post, a man said he was considered active category even though he didnt work out but just because he would get about 20,000 steps a day. Now heres my PERSONAL average daily activity in a week.
    I TRY to workout 5-6 times a week, I TRY to get near 20,000 steps daily, but besides that I'm your typical student living a student lifestyle.

Are you talking about using MFP to generate your goals or using a TDEE calculator? If you are using a TDEE calculator, between your exercise and your steps, I'd probably put you at very active. If you are using MFP, I'd put you at active plus eating back your calories from intentional exercise (that is not step based)
  • Talan79
    MikePTY wrote: »

Active = more than 10000

I've seen this, but to me it seems like you are getting too many calories for your steps. For example, with my BMR, going from lightly active to active gives me about an extra 380 calories, with on average going up about only 2500 steps. Yet if I was to log an hour of walking at 3 miles per hour, which would be about 6000 steps (give or take), it would only give me around 300 calories. I don't think 2500 steps = an extra 20% of your BMR.

I’m not sure how Fitbit or even MFP calculates calories for steps. I’ve had a day where I was sick and didn’t move, had about 2,500 steps. My Fitbit’s TDEE was about 1450. Then a day with no gym but 10,000 steps, and TDEE according to Fitbit was 1,850. My BMR is in the 1300’s.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member

Active = more than 10000

I’m not sure how Fitbit or even MFP calculates calories for steps. I’ve had a day where I was sick and didn’t move, had about 2,500 steps. My Fitbit’s TDEE was about 1450. Then a day with no gym but 10,000 steps, and TDEE according to Fitbit was 1,850. My BMR is in the 1300’s.

Why does this seem odd to you?

Depending on your stats it’s entirely possible that a day you are ill and not moving that your total calories burned was on the low side (1450) and on a day when you are more active around 1850. I’m a petite female and when I’m sedentary my TDEE is around 1700 but when I’m moving a lot more it can be upwards of 2200.

Do you have MFP and FitBit synced?

Do you have negative calorie adjustments enabled?
  • Talan79
    Wasn’t necessarily saying it’s odd. Just was wondering about the calculations.
    I’m 39, 5”2, 125lbs. Most days with lifting & running I’m at 15,000 steps and Fitbit has my TDEE around 2,300.
  • Talan79
    Thank you, very insightful. I didn’t know how MFP calculated activity.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 14,139 Member
    edited April 2019

Active = more than 10000

The steps and distance are not the only factor.

The steps counts are standing in as a proxy for your all day activity and as discussed these are all approximations and averages and "typical" expectations.

It is extremely likely that if you get 12,000 steps in a single two hour walk after being asleep in your bed for the first 22 hours of your day, the calories you actually spend will be FAR fewer than if you get 12,000 steps while standing on your feet for 24 hours non-stop while only getting 8.33 steps a minute during each and every minute. And you would have actually propelled yourself a smaller distance in the second case.
  • thelostbreed02
    thelostbreed02 Posts: 87 Member

Active = more than 10000

Oh, I just cant fathom how 12500 steps is the equivalent of lifting weights or being a football player since I assume all athletes go under the highly active category
  • thelostbreed02

Active = more than 10000

Oh, I just cant fathom how 12500 steps is the equivalent of lifting weights or being a football player since I assume all athletes go under the highly active category

Weights 2 times a day***
  • thelostbreed02

Are you talking about using MFP to generate your goals or using a TDEE calculator? If you are using a TDEE calculator, between your exercise and your steps, I'd probably put you at very active. If you are using MFP, I'd put you at active plus eating back your calories from intentional exercise (that is not step based)

Tdee calculator. Thanks
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member

Active = more than 10000

If a student athlete were in class all day and only active during training, they might set their Activity Level to Sedentary.

Activity Level only includes movement that you do outside of intentional exercise. Exercise sessions are added as they occur in the Exercise section.

As an example using traveling in vehicles:

TDEE would ask: How long were you in a vehicle?

Activity Level would ask: How long were you in a car? If you traveled in something other than a car (such as a bus or subway), you'd add that separately.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    I’m not sure how Fitbit or even MFP calculates calories for steps.

MFP doesn't calculate calories from steps - Steps is merely a figure to display, like glasses of water.

Fitbit calculates calories from distance, which at some level of course comes from steps - but distance varies for steps.

It's why people will ask about different daily burns with same number of steps - but only when they are asked to think about the days do they realize it was very different activity and distance.

I see in above posts a lot of bouncing around by newer members between external TDEE calc's 5 activity levels (which are outdated frankly from a 1912 study by Harris of BMR fame, which is also been improved) and MFP's 4 activity levels (based on more recent research by WHO).

Those step ranges per activity level are likely based on what people start seeing adjustments at - and hence a range.

The problem with the 1912 Harris TDEE calc almost every site uses is no difference between daily activity levels - only reference to workouts. And even there no reference to types of workouts, 4 hrs is not the same across the board.

Is a mail carrier with 3 kids and household responsibilities that works out 3 hrs weekly really the same TDEE as same physical spec'd woman with desk job who games all night/weekend except for 3 hrs of weekly workouts?

Hardly.

But TDEE calc would give them the same TDEE.
    And for a woman it will easily take 4-8 weeks of data to see just how off they are with monthly water weight fluctuations.
    Even a guy could start getting adaptations if deficit was too huge in 2-3 week period of time.

Ditto's to PAV8888's explanation of things, I thought extra detail before getting hung up on TDEE calc's when activity tracker is available already it seems.