I'm getting burnt out

Options
I've been on this weight loss grind for about 18 months. I did this slow on purpose so that I had a better chance of sustaining this lifestyle. I'm down about 50lbs and have 4lbs to go and suddenly I have just hit a wall in my motivation. I am getting so tired of eating at a deficit and working out five days a week. I've even incorporated a refeed day once a week and I still feel like this. I don't want to go on a diet break when I'm so close. Do I have any other options?

TDEE: 2000-2200 calories
Daily food logging is usually around 1500 calories
5'4
144lbs

Replies

• endermako
    endermako Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Take a break and eat at maintenance for awhile. 4lbs is going to come off very slowly, and maybe taking a break to just kind of breathe will help you tackle those last 4lbs. Otherwise discipline yourself to do the deficit and work-out anyway.

I might also ask, would that 4lbs make much of a visual difference? Maybe recomp might be more up your alley at this point?

i'm going to start my recomp at 140lbs, I'm at the very top of the healthy weight range for my height and want it to be a little bit more underneath that before i go to maintenance where i know i'll gain a few pounds from increased food intake and replenishing my glycogen (water weight)
  • Cassandraw3
    Cassandraw3 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    I understand your struggle. I have been trying to lose another 5 lbs since January, but have not been successful at keeping a deficit. Maybe focus on a different goal for a while? Set some fitness/strength goals and focus on those instead. My biggest struggle is I am no longer completely unhappy with my body. I still have a couple of pounds of fat I would like to lose, but I'm fairly happy with how I look now.
  • endermako
    edited April 2019
    Options

BTW - not everyone gets a weight bounce from replenishing glycogen, if you have a small deficit and don't go low carb it's unlikely.[/quote]

Oh that's good to know, i thought it was everybody :)

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,679 Member
    Options
    Sorry to add to the chorus. But it sounds like you're in the incremental nudge territory. Your best bet, imho, is the extended diet break/i'm at maintenance/recomp level. Then in a few months revisit and implement a small deficit (-250 range) from where you will be then. Or do the opportunistic deficits discussed above.

Reason is you sound as if your physical fitness goals are getting impacted. Health-wise the incremental benefit of just above to just below normal weight is minimal. Other than brain hamster wise, of course.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    It looks like you're at a pretty aggressive deficit right now -- your intake/TDEE has you at about a pound a week, right?

Have you considered cutting to half a pound a week instead, and adding 250 calories back in? That could give you that happy medium between full maintenance/diet break and the losing-a-pound-a-week deficit that you're in now.
  • endermako
    Options
    but i could be done in 4 weeks :'(:'(
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    but i could be done in 4 weeks :'(:'(

I hear you.

I'm about 5-6ish pounds out from my end goal, and I was feeling marginally guilty about having a stretch of days in a row at the maintenance setting -- I usually take breaks at my birthday and Easter, and this year they're within a few days of each other, so I'm being lazy and not changing my goal back. But then I realized that F it, I haven't had a maintenance break since February when I had a vacation + half marathon, and I'm at my size goal right now (perk of doing a birthday shopping trip on Wednesday and then today), and OK FINE, I would eat at maintenance a few days.

See how you feel when you try it. It may not be as bad as you fear, especially if it gives your brain a little bit of a break.
  • endermako
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    Just a thought but are you unhappy only because of a number? If so, I suggest putting it aside and starting your recomp now. In a few months evaluate how you feel and decide then if you need to lose a few more pounds.

not unhappy because of a number. I just stick to my goals.
  • anl90
    anl90 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    Others have already said it, but I would say switch up your diet, and maybe even your workout regime (if that is part of why you are feeling so burnt out). It has helped me in the past. Just don't give up! I have faith you can get that second wind. (: