Tips for eating slower?

Options
2»

Replies

• Safari_Gal
    Safari_Gal Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Savor every bite. Look up mindful eating.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    I agree with some of the others, put your utensil, or sandwich (or any food you eat with your fingers) down between bites.) Chew thoroughly before taking another bite.

The other day I heard on some tv show I had on, that the average time it takes to eat a meal is 8 minutes. My husband is a very fast eater. Sometimes it’s really annoying (like holidays and special meals I took a lot of time preparing) to be finished in minutes, but after 43 years of marriage I should be used to it.🤷🏻‍♀️
  • Kiyomoo
    Kiyomoo Posts: 354 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice so far! The "putting the food down" and "taking sips of water in-between" seem to help!
    Eat with chopsticks, or better yet... use chopsticks with your non-dominant hand. That would certainly slow me down :#
    Haha, this is great. I might try that one day. I have been wanting to improve my chopstick skills! I imagine I'll be taking 2 hours to eat if I do this.
    Weight loss has nothing to do with eating food fast. I manage to lose 43 lbs total not by eating slowly but by eating less and doing calorie deficit.
    I wasn't saying that eating faster changes how much weight you lose directly. But for me, it does have an effect on my journey. If I end up eating a sandwich that has, let's say, 350 calories, and I eat it all in under 5 minutes but don't feel satisfied because of how fast I ate it, then that might lead to me eating more food in order to get that "full" feeling. Or even if I don't eat more afterwards, it's still disappointing because it wasn't worth it, it was just a waste of 350 calories for that day. Finding ways to eat slower would could make those 350 calories more worth it, and just overall improve my experience on my weight loss journey.

Not that I'm trying to use "eating too fast" as an excuse for anything - I've lost over 60 pounds myself. So I'm still doing good despite this inconvenience I keep facing.