Vegan meal recipes that don't include soy!!

ZaraM56
ZaraM56 Posts: 7 Member
I'm slowly transitioning to a vegan diet because I have so many allergies to things and I can't have any soy I would really appreciate it if anyone has any ideas on recipes I could have for lunch and dinner that don't include soy but yet taste good and are on the high in protein

Replies

• Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,135 Member
    Mr. Google is your friend. Good luck.

So Delicious Dairy Free | Vegan Recipes
    http://sodeliciousdairyfree.com/Recipes/Vegan

Soy Free Vegan Recipes — Oh She Glows
    https://ohsheglows.com/.../recipes-2/food-allergies/allergies-soy-free

7 High Protein Vegan Recipes With No Soy
    https://www.veganproteinlab.com/high-protein-vegan-recipe-no-soy

Vegan Soy free Recipes
    https://www.veganricha.com/category/soy-free

• ZaraM56
    Thank you for these sites for ideas! Really appreciate it.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,589 Member
    Seitan, quorn and beans for protein.
  • fuzzylop_
    fuzzylop_ Posts: 100 Member
    Seitan and beans were always my go to options. On the processed side, you have a few choices from quorn (need to read ingredients, since a lot of their product line has egg) and beyond meat (which uses pea protein).
  • ZaraM56
    Thank you both! @fuzzylop_ I already eat a lot of beans and like them, but was looking for some alternative protein sources. You know for variety so my meals won't get to boring. 😀
  • georgieamber2
    georgieamber2 Posts: 229 Member
    edited April 2019
    Normally it’s the mock meats and stuff containing soy but you can use things like jackfruit, banana blossom (if it’s cheap and available to you) and mushrooms to achieve a “meaty” texture. If I was soy free, I would make things like veggie curries using coconut milk, stir fry’s with a soy free soy sauce, and soups. You can make a lot of pasta dishes too and can use cashews to thicken them or make a cream out of blended soaked cashews and water (love this method personally when I run out of the soy cream I use) - u can also buy oatly oat cream which I don’t believe contains soy? Also pumpkin purée makes a nice creamy sauce or blended roast red peppers, garlic, chilli, onion and cashews to make a creamy pasta sauce?
    For protein just use lots of veggies like broccoli, peas and mushrooms especially! Try seitan which is very high in protein and I don’t think contains soy. Edamame, pumpkin seeds, peanut butter, vegan protein powder in smoothies, lentils and Brussels sprouts - all high in protein x
  • MicahTrainerTx
    MicahTrainerTx Posts: 8 Member
    fuzzylop_ wrote: »
    Seitan and beans were always my go to options. On the processed side, you have a few choices from quorn (need to read ingredients, since a lot of their product line has egg) and beyond meat (which uses pea protein).

Bit off topic,

But I was in Portland for business last week and I tried the Beyond Meat Burger at Carl’s Jr. (Or Hardee’s - IDK which it is in Oregon...) Anyway, I was coming off of my 3 day Keto-IF period and cheat day (yes DAY...) was upon me. Ordered the meal, ate the burger, gave the fries to a homeless dude outside bc I wanted to use the calories for another beyond meat burger.

I’m a total omnivore... not scared of meat at all. But, I have clients who don’t eat meat so the Beyond Meat product has been gaining steam and I decided to see what it was all about.

It’s not as if it’s indistinguishable from meat, not at all really, it’s different (though not AS “different” as some veggie burgers) but either way it was damn tasty.
  • miakelaa
    miakelaa Posts: 43 Member
    I recommend the blogger Minimalist Baker. She does a lot of specialty diet stuff and offers substitutes for many common allergens in her recipes. Many of her recipes do not include soy.

My family is vegan and generally oil/sugar free. One of our favorite dinners is this Mexican One Pot Quinoa. I've served it to vegans and meat-lovers alike and it always tends to go well.

Other food bloggers I like are The Full Helping, Love & Lemons (not entirely vegan or vegetarian but many vegan options), and Pick Up Limes (she also does food and lifestyle YouTube videos).

To replace tofu or tempeh in a recipe, you could try seitan, which is a wheat-based meat alternative. To replace soy sauce or tamari, try using coconut aminos, which has a similar salty taste but is sourced from coconut instead of soy.
  • ZaraM56
    Thank you all, for the great information! I really appreciate it. Will look into it all and find what works best for me. Edamame is made from young soybeans so I better stay away from it, but everything else sound good again thank you for your help and knowledge.
  • georgieamber2
    georgieamber2 Posts: 229 Member
    Oh of course edamame is!!🙈 sorry lovely x
  • whoami67
    whoami67 Posts: 297 Member
    A food blog I like: https://ohsheglows.com

I've been loving the power bowls for lunch the past few weeks. They have about 15 grams of protein before you top them with lentils or legumes, hummus, nuts or seeds which altogether add another 10 grams or so. And the flavor combination tastes delicious.