Nutritious family dinners?

Options
NadNight
NadNight Posts: 794 Member
We’ve fallen into a rut with our family meals. We have some favourite recipes (Chinese pork stir fry, sweet chilli chicken thighs with Mediterranean veg, fish and baby potatoes with greens) but they’re becoming repetitive and I’d like to shake it up. I’ve been trying to find new recipes that are reasonably cheap and look appetising but after an initial google search, nothing is really floating my boat.

The only foods we need to avoid are seafoods like prawns and shrimp. Fish is fine though.

Does anyone have any favourite recipes or links to websites they’d be willing to share? I’m looking for things heavy on veggies as our diets are quite repetitive (tomatoes, peppers, peas) and could do with some new flavours.

Replies

• gearhead426hemi
    gearhead426hemi Posts: 919 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Spicy Goat Curry
    Virgin olive oil, 2 tbsp.
    Ground Cumin, 0.25 tsp
    Cayenne Pepper, 0.25 tsp
    Ground Coriander, 0.25 tsp
    Garlic Salt, 1tsp
    Coarse Kosher Salt, 0.1 tsp
    Yellow Curry, 8 tbsp
    2 Large Yellow or White Onions
    1 Garlic clove
    1 Large Jalapeno
    3 Large Peppers, yellow, red, and or green
    1.5 lb. Goat meat
    2 cups Royal Blend Rice Blend

This is my families favorite dinner. If you don't have access to goat meat you can sub it with chicken, pork or beef. We raise goats so that is our main source of red meat and I STRONGLY suggest goat meat for this recipe. I always marinate any meat I cook with for no less than 24 hours. Dice meat, ( 1 ) onion, jalapeno, garlic, all spices, and (1) tbsp olive oil and place in sealable container. Mix thoroughly so all meat is coated. Seal or cover for 24+ hours. Pour contents in pan with 1 tbsp, olive oil and brown meat. Add 1 cup of water, cover and simmer on low heat for 1 hour. Cut remaining onion, peppers, and 1 cup water and add to mixture. Continue to simmer until peppers are cooked to your liking. Pour over your favorite rice. Enjoy!!
  • sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Fajitas are quick & easy - fill your wraps with lots of salad, a little finely grated cheddar and pile in the meat of your choice - chicken, peppers & onions. Or swap to Turkey or steak. Or use minced beef or turkey. Want a lower calorie option?...serve all the fillings (with lots of the salad obviously) in a big bowl and skip the wraps. Use 0% Greek yoghurt rather than sour cream or guacamole. Load up with fresh homemade salsa.

Homemade burgers - use 5% beef fat or use pork mince & apricot or lamb mince & mint.

Slow roast a joint of meat with morrocan spices and serve with folded breads packed with salad, hummus, pomegranate seeds & top with the shredded meat.

Have you tried downloading some of the many many free meal planning & recipe apps?
  • chelseayadron
    chelseayadron Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    https://www.vegannie.com/appetizers-sides/meatless-meatloaf-bites/
    Meatless recipe-quite healthy and my kiddos LOVE it. I usually make some vegetables as the side dish and a baked sweet potato.

https://cookieandkate.com/broccoli-chickpea-pita-sandwiches/
    You can add shredded chicken for extra protein

https://www.vegetariantimes.com/recipes/quinoa-stuffed-peppers
    I leave out the olives but basically you can make this recipe and substitute different veggies/meats

Just a few recipes!:)
  • shorty7791
    shorty7791 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Skinnytaste.com
  • corrarjo
    corrarjo Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    @NadNight, Chef John at Food Wishes.com
  • Safari_Gal
    Safari_Gal Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    NadNight wrote: »
    We’ve fallen into a rut with our family meals. We have some favourite recipes (Chinese pork stir fry, sweet chilli chicken thighs with Mediterranean veg, fish and baby potatoes with greens) but they’re becoming repetitive and I’d like to shake it up. I’ve been trying to find new recipes that are reasonably cheap and look appetising but after an initial google search, nothing is really floating my boat.

The only foods we need to avoid are seafoods like prawns and shrimp. Fish is fine though.

Does anyone have any favourite recipes or links to websites they’d be willing to share? I’m looking for things heavy on veggies as our diets are quite repetitive (tomatoes, peppers, peas) and could do with some new flavours.

How about ratatouille?

For breakfast with an egg - or evening by itself or with meat of choice.

This is an easier recipe- lots of vegetable goodness!
    https://www.themediterraneandish.com/easy-ratatouille-recipe/