Trigger Foods

Options
I have learned that Garrett's popcorn is a trigger binge for me. I can pass up brownies, cake, ice cream, candy, bread, potatoes...just about everything...but, put Garrett's popcorn in front of me...I'm a BIG uncontrollable FREAK! How do you handle trigger foods?

Replies

• hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    Options
    Despite the common answer of "keeping them out of reach", I found that for me it is important for me not to deprive myself of even my trigger foods, or else I'll just go to that same food whenever I slip up and do more harm than good. Try to keep small portions in your house if possible, and allow yourself a reasonable portion every day. This way, you will become used to them, and although at first you'll want to eat the entire bag and then some, if you learn to control yourself this can be one of the most effective ways to execute self discipline and moderation. Eventually, you will find that the food will become less of a trigger for you, and you'll eventually be able to walk right past it without second thoughts. This process may take a while, and it's important not to punish yourself if you do slip up, but just continue to pursue this goal. Remember, depriving yourself almost never works when dieting! When you find your healthy balance all this hard work will pay off, trust me. This is what I did to prevent my endless binges on Reese's. While I still find them delicious of course, they aren't something I need to eat ten of at a time anymore.
    I hope this helps, I wish you the best of luck! :)