HELP!

Options
I am 20 years old and am currently in college. I have been struggling with my weight since my senior year of high school. It didn’t start to bother me until last year (my sophomore year of college). Last summer I joined a gym and use my fitness pal RELIGIOUSLY. I lost about 20 pounds and felt great. However, when I got back to college this year I struggled to maintain my healthy eating habits and workout routines. Over the summer I saw working out as an escape it was something I enjoyed doing. However, at school it felt like a chore. I began running outside because I hated the atmosphere of our school gym. Unfortunately, I gained back all of the weight I lost plus some. A few weeks ago I tried to get back into using the app and working out. I was successful for about a week until the weather changed and I couldn’t run outside and school got busy. I need help getting back into some sort of routine. I’m looking for any kind of support/advice!

Replies

• sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Simply you just have to want it enough to do it.

But... maybe it would help you to set some goals? Do you have a date in the calendar you want to aim to lose the weight by, or could you sign up for a fitness race, event or competition so that it motivates you to train on those days when you would otherwise go ‘naaaaa... not today’?
    What about a big progress chart on the wall - log your training sessions or your weight loss or your measurements?
    Or if money motivates you, pay a charge every time you skip a gym session or fail to log. Then reward yourself with a treat of some kind when you hit a milestone?
    Different things motivate different kinds of people so it’s hard for us to know what’ll work for you since we don’t know you.

Maybe you should take a look at why you aren’t able to maintain the logging & fitness - you’ll probably find you’ve set too aggressive a target and over-restricting such that it’s not sustainable. Reducing your deficit may help you in the long run. You could share your stats and people will help you determine a sensible and sustainable rate of loss.
  • echmain3
    echmain3 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    There’s no excuse for not logging your food/calories.

Once you get your usual foods logged, it takes very little time to log. Just seconds per day.

Once you have an accurate diary you’ll see where the problem lies.

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,015 Member
    Options
    Where do you live that you can't run outside? I live in the Pacific NW of the U.S. If I didn't go out when it was raining I'd never go out. Nature is my church, though. I couldn't NOT go out to exercise. Start seeing the beauty in the outdoors and you'll start buying rain gear/snow gear. :)
  • ColdTurkeyplus1
    ColdTurkeyplus1 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    sarabushby wrote: »
    Simply you just have to want it enough to do it.

But... maybe it would help you to set some goals? Do you have a date in the calendar you want to aim to lose the weight by, or could you sign up for a fitness race, event or competition so that it motivates you to train on those days when you would otherwise go ‘naaaaa... not today’?
    What about a big progress chart on the wall - log your training sessions or your weight loss or your measurements?
    Or if money motivates you, pay a charge every time you skip a gym session or fail to log. Then reward yourself with a treat of some kind when you hit a milestone?
    Different things motivate different kinds of people so it’s hard for us to know what’ll work for you since we don’t know you.

Maybe you should take a look at why you aren’t able to maintain the logging & fitness - you’ll probably find you’ve set too aggressive a target and over-restricting such that it’s not sustainable. Reducing your deficit may help you in the long run. You could share your stats and people will help you determine a sensible and sustainable rate of loss.

This.

It hurts the first few days..maybe 4 or 5 but then it becomes a 'thing'. You have to want it. That's all that matters
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    can you stop pressuring yourself to work out and instead focus on calories in / calories out via eating and measuring/weighing your food alone?