1,200 calories a day - is it too little?

Options
2»

Replies

• koalathebear
    koalathebear Posts: 236 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    I'm on approximately 1200 - 1340 calories a day (it varies), with exercising (cardio, weights, walking the dogs). I've been careful about what I eat but still eating what I like - just less of it. Some days I'll eat more - up to 1500 etc if I'm eating out with friends/family.

I am five feet tall. I've lost 20kg in 15 weeks (started at 86.6kg, now at 66.6kg). I have another 16kg to lose before I get to goal weight (I might stop after 10 or 11kg, though depending on how I feel.

In the beginning, it took a while to find out the right mix of exercise and food.

I find there are some things that make me more full / keep me full longer. You definitely have to eat enough to be able to be strong enough for the exercise. I'm doing zumba classes, HIIT sessions etc and have gone from only being able to plank 5 seconds to being able to plank for 2 minutes, so eating enough to get stronger is quite important.
  • kpaing121
    kpaing121 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Hi mine is the same 5.2 1200 cals list 1lb lol and struggling but close to giving up and thks to the girls with there very help full advice you lot are great x
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,022 Member
    Options
    OP - for most people 1200 is too low.

It is ok for older, shorter, smaller, less active women.

If this is not you, then it is likely too low.

What are your current stats - age, height, weight, activity level?

Also, even for those whom 1200 is right that is your NET calories - ie you are expected to eat back excercise calories as well.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    I'm on approximately 1200 - 1340 calories a day (it varies), with exercising (cardio, weights, walking the dogs). I've been careful about what I eat but still eating what I like - just less of it. Some days I'll eat more - up to 1500 etc if I'm eating out with friends/family.

I am five feet tall. I've lost 20kg in 15 weeks (started at 86.6kg, now at 66.6kg). I have another 16kg to lose before I get to goal weight (I might stop after 10 or 11kg, though depending on how I feel.

In the beginning, it took a while to find out the right mix of exercise and food.

I find there are some things that make me more full / keep me full longer. You definitely have to eat enough to be able to be strong enough for the exercise. I'm doing zumba classes, HIIT sessions etc and have gone from only being able to plank 5 seconds to being able to plank for 2 minutes, so eating enough to get stronger is quite important.

You are losing over 1 kilogram a week by the looks of it. That really is too fast for the little weight you have left to lose.You really should consider upping your calories by at least 250 a day to slow it down to a healthier level of no more than 1/2 kilo a week.
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    hannahbolm wrote: »
    Thank you all for the helpful feedback. I’ll admit that there are days where I feel sluggish with no energy (which I thought was somewhat normal for people just starting out?) But most days I feel just fine eating 1,200 calories. I’m paying CLOSE attention to my body, therefore I plan on sticking with my current calorie goal for the time being. The moment I start feeling weak or fatigued I will shoot for 1,300-1,400. Thanks again everyone.

If you're having days where you're feeling fatigued then you're not listening to your body. I underate for a week (unintentionally) and it took a month to recover. Had quite a few days where I felt sluggish no matter what. It also negatively affected my cycle.
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options

From everything you describe, your deficit is way too aggressive. You may be getting stronger (for now), but that would be despite your diet. 20kg in 15 weeks makes sense for somebody much larger than you. Highly recommend that you slow this down.