Looking to switch up my fitness routine, not sure what to do.

Options
slbbw
slbbw Posts: 329 Member
Before this current round of weight loss and fitness I mostly did endurance sports for exercise, running (10K and half marathon distance mostly and some sprint triathlons). This go around I start doing orange theory. First twice a week and now 4 to 5 times a week. I am starting to think my fitness goals, lower body fat but I only have about 10 more scale pounds I want to lose, may be better accomplished with a more weight lifting specific routine. The problem is I am not sure what to do. The thing I like about OTF is I just have to show up. I also find the class super energizing. But, its expensive and I want to add more weights. Budget wise I am not sure I can add another gym fee on top of what I am doing. I did a trial class at a circuit studio near my house and I liked it, but they suggested 3x per week. Should I add running back in the other two days? Is there something I can do 5 days a week that will meet my goals? I despise indoor cardio unless it is guided intervals. I am worried I may not be focused just left to my own in a weight room. I am starting to slowing build a small home gym with dumbells right now.

TLDR: I have been doing OTF 5 days a week and want to add in more weight lifting. I can't afford a second gym membership on top of this, so looking to switch routines entirely. Thoughts on what kind of exercise routine might meets these criteria.

Replies

• mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I either do full body weights M/W/F and I've been incorporating mini-triathlon training on T/Th. Or I'll do an upper/lower split M/T/Th/F and mini-triathalon W/Sa. Basically I'll ride my bike to the gym, run for a bit on the treadmill, swim and then bike home. It's been a kind of fun change of pace for me. I go to 24HR fitness and the membership is only like $29/mo.
  • Cassandraw3
    Cassandraw3 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Have you considered doing crossfit? Most crossfit gyms are structured to where you can go every day. There is a strength portion and then a cardio portion.
  • slbbw
    slbbw Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I considered crossfit, but it still felt too intense. I probably should try out a class and see how it goes.
  • New_Heavens_Earth
    New_Heavens_Earth Posts: 610 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    slbbw wrote: »
    I considered crossfit, but it still felt too intense. I probably should try out a class and see how it goes.

You can try out a class, and they modify weights and moves according to fitness level. But it is expensive.

I alternate crossfit and cardio at Planet Fitness M-F, with DVDs or YouTube videos on weekends.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,166 Member
    Options
    You could maybe start with one of the beginner bodyweight strength programs from this thread so you don't need another gym, then re-evaluate when you need to progress to something more advanced:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you