How do you handle thigh chafing?

Options
2»

Replies

• asliceofjackie
    asliceofjackie Posts: 112 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    I'm not a runner, but when I get chafing from just walking, I have used transparant, very thin pantyhose and wearing them under my regular trousers.
  • kellycz
    kellycz Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Body Glide is a life saver.
  • nikkit321
    nikkit321 Posts: 1,485 Member
    Options
    Another vote for bike shorts. I also have some running shorts that have an inner layer (like bike shorts) and a looser outer layer.
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    kteej wrote: »
    Better arch support

Wut? How?
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I don't run, but I wear bike shorts under dress/skirts for chafing. And modesty, because I chase after small kids a lot, and nothing like flashing your lacing undies....Anyway, bike shorts.
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Very sparing amounts of white petrolatum/aquaphor or cocoa butter after bathing; petroleum/vaseline is also practical
    Paper taper is another useful hack for friction burns (more practical for feet, heel areas)
  • avlucia
    avlucia Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I'm not a runner but I love my dresses and skirts and gold Bond friction defense is my holy Grail, it's held up to sweaty, day long trips of endless walking.

https://www.google.com/search?q=gold+bond+friction+defense&oq=hold+Bond+friction&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0l3.3897j0j4&client=ms-android-huawei&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I don't like Body Glide at all. It just doesn't work for me and is hard to apply around my toes and in the nether regions.

I much prefer Vaniply. This stuff is awesome! I've used it up a 44 mile run with great success.
  • buckykatt1
    buckykatt1 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I used to use Body Glide until I discovered Sparkle Skirts. Built in shorts, cute patterns and styles and many pockets! No rubbing and I can carry my phone, pepper spray, keys, and time to without noticing them at all while I'm running.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Bike shorts are made with a heavy chamois which most people find very uncomfortable for running.
    Try A&D ointment. It's much less expensive than body glide. In the baby section.
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Bike shorts are made with a heavy chamois which most people find very uncomfortable for running.
    Try A&D ointment. It's much less expensive than body glide. In the baby section.

They also make bike shorts without chamois, so if you get 7-9 inch inseam length you should be ok
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,178 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »

Yeah, when I think of bike shorts, this ^^ is what I think of too. Bike shorts are padded shorts for cycling, especially for cycling longer distances.

But the non-cycling population consider these "bike shorts". Whatever they're called, they work well under skirts to keep chafing under control, and after a long run when your legs feel like jello.

3gp70kdmr31w.png
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Late to the party and haven't read other suggestions but I always have great results from Monistat's Anti-chafing gel. It goes on dry, does not rub off on clothing, stays on a long time, and goes a long way. One tube lasts me about 4 months.

Yes, you mentioned that you thought it was expensive but I found it so effective that it actually saves me money.
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    I have never had luck with any of the gels or powders. I used to have problems in the thigh area and around the armpit/bra area. The only solution was to cover it with fabric. Short shorts and tank tops are a no, tops with actual sleeves and long shorts or Capri length tights are now what I wear. If I have a patch that I aggravated with my hiking pack I will tuck a piece of soft repurposed merino wool in between my skin and the clothing as well to wick sweat off faster and prevent more salt burning the sensitive skin. YMMV
  • huntersvonnegut
    huntersvonnegut Posts: 1,177 Member
    Options
    I wear compression shorts with a long inseam along with an aloe gel from Walmart. I have body glide as well but I use that when packing for a trip.
  • eqc8486
    eqc8486 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Anti Chafing shorts. More breathable than biking shorts. I bought the Jockey brand from Amazon for like $20.