Losing weight with 'Real Food'

Options
I've been slowly changing my diet to all real food meaning, no artificial or packaged anything. No low fat, nonfat or artificial sweetener. Lots of vegetables, lean protein and only minimal wheat/carbs because I'm hypoglycemic and must limit the amount.
My question is, does anyone else do this successfully and lose weight?

Replies

• howardheilweil
    howardheilweil Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    What you are describing is great in terms of your overall health, so congratulations on this! That said, your weight loss will be based on your caloric intake (net calories) and not the overall quality of your food. Good luck!
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Lots of people do it and lose weight. It can make it easier to lose weight, as unprocessed, unpackaged foods are generally less calorie dense, so you get more for your money so to speak when you eat them. I prefer not to eliminate any particular foods from my diet (except trans fats) because I believe that eliminating foods that you enjoy, or good tasting foods can lead to binging, which used to happen to me.
  • Sharon009
    Sharon009 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! I do understand the calorie intake versus calorie burn. It just seems I'm getting less food quantity wise. I do agree a handful of nuts stays with you longer than a granola bar.
  • mrmagee3
    mrmagee3 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I've been slowly changing my diet to all real food meaning, no artificial or packaged anything. No low fat, nonfat or artificial sweetener. Lots of vegetables, lean protein and only minimal wheat/carbs because I'm hypoglycemic and must limit the amount.

Hypoglycemic = having low blood sugar. Restricting carbs for low blood sugar doesn't seem to make a ton of sense. Did you mean hyperglycemic?
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Lots of people do it and lose weight. It can make it easier to lose weight, as unprocessed, unpackaged foods are generally less calorie dense, so you get more for your money so to speak when you eat them. I prefer not to eliminate any particular foods from my diet (except trans fats) because I believe that eliminating foods that you enjoy, or good tasting foods can lead to binging, which used to happen to me.

^This. Many people attribute eating "clean" or "real food" as the reason they lose weight, but it all comes down to calories in vs calories out. As AJ_G posted, eliminating foods that you enjoy can lead to binging, and is usually the reason people rebound after reaching their goals and gain even more weight then they've lost. Creating a healthy, sustainable relationship with food that you can maintain as a lifestyle is the best approach. Now, if you can see yourself eating only "real food" for the rest of your life and maintaining your restrictions, then that is the best approach for you.
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    That is pretty much how I eat. I have food sensitivities so I do not eat grains or dairy either. I eat lean proteins, non-starchy vegetables, healthy fats.

I feel great eating this way. I have no cravings, ever, eating this way so no worries about getting derailed by junk food. The fat is just melting away. I love it!
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    I do it. I love to cook, so "food" from a box in my kitchen is sacrilege. It's not that I can't eat that stuff, but if my scalloped potatoes came from Betty Crocker I'm going to be one unhappy pappy in the immortal words of Bart Simpson. I will say this, it's a little more labor intensive to track calories this way, since there is no nutritional info printed on the side of a steak. :laugh:

Rigger
  • Sharon009
    Options
    Yes I do mean hyperglycemic. Real food doesn't mean plain or bad tasting food, it's organic real butter, full fat milk, cheese, meat, locally grown produce, no gmo type stuff etc... My body is forcing me into this, I travel for work and it is running me down. I notice when I eat clean, meaning no artificial stuff, I feel lighter, no bloating or stomach aches.
  • BarefootSerenity
    Options
    <<< right here.. I have been following The Whole 30 on and off for months. Now 100% compliant. Never felt better. Good luck.
  • Sharon009
    Options
    I do it. I love to cook, so "food" from a box in my kitchen is sacrilege. It's not that I can't eat that stuff, but if my scalloped potatoes came from Betty Crocker I'm going to be one unhappy pappy in the immortal words of Bart Simpson. I will say this, it's a little more labor intensive to track calories this way, since there is no nutritional info printed on the side of a steak. :laugh:

Rigger

Fortunately i love to cook too. But it is a lot of work to input all the ingredients.
  • shannashannabobana
    shannashannabobana Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I've been doing (mostly) primal which is kind of the same thing although I don't eat all lean protein. Mostly I try to steer clear of wheat and eat less sugar. I've lost 10 pounds. I definately think it's good for your health and will help you lose weight if you do it right.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

Real food tastes better! So of course, it encompasses most of my dietary intake.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I've lost weight eating "clean." I've lost more weight eating what I want on a daily basis and just keeping it within my calorie and macro goals. The problem for me with restricting myself to a grain-free, junk food-free diet was that any time I did manage to eat something off-plan, I would go nuts, and it was hard, mentally, for me to go back to eating normally. These days, I eat cookies or pop tarts or ice cream or whatever on a regular basis, so it's not that big of a deal. I can stop at just a couple of Oreos or a half-cup of ice cream because I know I can eat more tomorrow if I want. I still don't eat grains in the form of bread, pasta, rice, etc., except on special and rare occasions, just because it makes me feel sluggish and tired.
  • Nar1965
    Nar1965 Posts: 17
    Options
    Totally agree with what most people said above about losing weight having to do more with calories than the quality of food. That said, I find that by eating more consciously -- making "clean" choices, taking the time to prepare a meal vs. grabbing something pre-prepared -- I feel more in control with food. I also feel like because I'm treating my body better with good food choices, I'm more energetic in my workouts. It's new-is to me, this commitment to take care of myself, to make myself a priority and to treat my body as if it's deserving of the extra time and effort. Much (all?) of it is psychological, I'm sure, but it has lead the numbers on the scale heading downward...
  • arl1286
    arl1286 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I find that eating clean helps with weight loss because in terms of volume, you can eat so much more! I used to STARVE at 1500 calories when I included desserts and breads in my diet. Now, I struggle to meet that calorie goal on most days.
  • lauraleighsm
    Options
    I'm not perfect, but usually clean (or at least gmo free) about 80% of the time. I try not to feed my kids prepacked junk or things with high fructose corn syrup and typically don't buy it. I feel like their little growing bodies shouldn't be exposed to all those chemicals and preservatives. However, I went to the movies this week and made a pig of myself. I felt sick for two days after!

I do not lose weight though because of real foods. I lose weight when I restrict my calories.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Wait a minute.... are we talking about "clean" eating or simply eating real food instead of "diet food?" There is a huge difference.
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    I've lost weight eating "clean." I've lost more weight eating what I want on a daily basis and just keeping it within my calorie and macro goals. The problem for me with restricting myself to a grain-free, junk food-free diet was that any time I did manage to eat something off-plan, I would go nuts, and it was hard, mentally, for me to go back to eating normally. These days, I eat cookies or pop tarts or ice cream or whatever on a regular basis, so it's not that big of a deal. I can stop at just a couple of Oreos or a half-cup of ice cream because I know I can eat more tomorrow if I want. I still don't eat grains in the form of bread, pasta, rice, etc., except on special and rare occasions, just because it makes me feel sluggish and tired.

this! if I can fit it in, and I want it... I have it! are you prepared to never have a slice of your childs birthday cake? to never have a chocolate truffle on valentines day, or never have a slice of pie on thanksgiving? im not! moderation is key in my opinion!
  • cassied76
    Options
    I think you have to find what works for you. I've cut all (most) packaged / processed foods out of my diet, but it's not like I immediately dropped 10 lbs (I wish!) - I'm still exercising and watching my calorie intake too. I'm also pretty sure there's reputable research that shows that calories in v. calorie out might not be the only key to weight loss. Personally, I feel a LOT better when I'm eating real food v. processed crap - because that's exactly what it is, crap. If you stick to "eating clean" you'll see office mates (and the like) losing weight while pouring fake coffee creamer in their morning coffees and zapping lean cuisines in the microwave for lunch, and it will be insanely frustrating, but know that you are doing your body so much good by not doing the same. That's why I'm anti-Weight Watchers, I feel like they almost push you to eat processed junk because it's "low in points." Eat good food. Eat what makes you happy. To me there is no reason to give up what you love, just do it in moderation...your body will figure the rest out. A quick note on full fat dairy though - I tried it a few months back and did NOT like it. Just a personal thing, maybe. I eat full fat (really good) cheeses and put half and half in my coffee, but I've found that Siggi's yogurt (from grass fed cows) has been a much better fit for me than either full fat Fage or full fat regular yogurt. Good luck!
  • Sharon009
    Options
    Wait a minute.... are we talking about "clean" eating or simply eating real food instead of "diet food?" There is a huge difference.

Clean eating is not eating processed foods. Real food is not processed or genetically altered. It's not fish thats been farm fed junk that we then put into our bodies. Its beef, pork and chicken that hasnt been shot up with hormones or fed genetically altered corn etc..

I'm talking about real food. Real butter from cows that eat grass instead of modified corn, real whole wheat, full fat cheese, organic steak, chicken etc.. vegetables grown without being genetically altered, and sprayed with pesticides. Homemade pie, bread, cookies, muffins etc.. from wholesome ingredients not processed flour, sugar or other ingredients. That is 'clean' eating.

I'm not talking about not eating chocolate, cake, pizza etc.. I'm talking about making it at home with 'real' ingredients not processed.