I Quit Soda

Options
Terytha
Terytha Posts: 2,097 Member
We gave up Coke for lent. I'm not religious it just seemed like a convenient excuse since husband was doing it (he is religious). At the height of my soda drinking habit I was having 4-6 cans per day. I knew it was bad. But I loathe water. I gave myself the allowance that I would drink it at movie theaters, restaurants and if I got sick but wouldn't have any in the house.

I thought I was gonna die. I wanted a Coke SO BAD and I was cranky and sad about it. We had none though and drinking it in front of husband would have been cruel anyway. But lent is over, we bought a 2 liter for Easter dinner because you have yummy stuff for holiday meals. And I drank a huge amount... of water.

When did I stop craving soda? I don't remember. I still hate water, that'll never change. It picks up weird flavors from everything and my brain squicks at that. Turns out I can tolerate it if I eat spicy/salty things first though, hides the weird other taste. Anyways I guess I've kicked my soda habit. I think about the bottle in the fridge and I just don't want any.

Since I've been drinking way, way too much for like 10 years this is pretty huge.

Also I fit in normal store pants now. I don't have to locate plus size stores to shop. I bought $20 jeans. The cheapest plus size pants I ever found was $80.

I'm still obese, but you gotta take your victories where you can.

Replies

• lx1x
    lx1x Posts: 38,311 Member
    Options
    Yeah. I cut down on soda also..I drink half a dozen a day. Now just once a while.

Good job👍
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    That's a big change! There are lots of ways you can flavor water. Maybe you can find something that makes it appealing to you like a little citrus juice, adding some fruit or cucumber, tea, etc.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    A slice of cucumber in water sounds weird, but it is really good. It makes the water taste more like water, if that makes any sense.
  • Terytha
    Options
    Flavored water and I don't get along. And anything floating in my drink that isn't ice is guaranteed to make me gag.

I have moderately more success drinking room temp water over cold water. Cold water tastes weirder.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Not trying to force anything on you, but if you can't handle stuff floating in your water, these water infuser bottles keeps the fruit/whatever trapped in a little cage. Just throwing ideas out. Feel free to disregard. Well done on the Coke!

https://www.google.com/search?q=water+infuser+bottle&safe=active&rlz=1C1GCEU_enUS841US843&source=univ&tbm=shop&tbo=u&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj7j6GSy-ThAhUTpJ4KHZnVBQ0QsxgILQ&biw=1920&bih=937#spd=4471031670779428315
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    A slice of cucumber in water sounds weird, but it is really good. It makes the water taste more like water, if that makes any sense.

The funny part is that I think it's disgusting. I just suggested it because I know some other people are weird like that ;) I mostly drink plain water and tea.
  • flintflash1
    flintflash1 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    ALWAYS take the little victories! GREAT success is based on winning the little battles, and you just won a BIG one! SUPER JOB!!! :)
  • 2NewBeginnings
    2NewBeginnings Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I lost 90 pds in 1 year... Haven’t drank ANY Sodas since. None. Nada. Zilch.

U can do it. In the beginning, you crave it and miss it. You go through withdrawals but if you stick with it, you eventually don’t ever desire it.

Good luck!
  • JohnnytotheB
    JohnnytotheB Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Excellent job on cutting back on the liquid calories. I too cut soda out. I switched to water which is fine but one day I was listening to someone who loved seltzer water (no sugar, no salt, no junk, no calories). I purchased a 12 pack of the Polar brand and loved it. My favorite is lemon and just plain. The plain is literally just carbonated water. It was great because it feels like you are having a soda due to the fizz but none of the other stuff on the label.

On a seperate note I also switched my liquor to the "hard seltzer waters" like White Claw (my favorite). 100 calories per 12 calories. I can still party and drink without doing the 250 to 500 calorie drinks (per drink) that I love like margarita's or brandy old fashions.
  • jean133mjg
    jean133mjg Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I gave up soda 4-1/2 years ago. I was drinking a six pack a day of regular Pepsi. It made me feel so bloated in the hot summer months. I also hated drinking water, but over the years of drinking water, black coffee or tea, I got to where I was craving water and realized when I was really thirsty. The sugar in the soda never quenched my thirst. I had heard that the more you drink something, the more your body craves it. Seems to be that way for me, so maybe one day you might enjoy it more than you do now. Anyway, it's a victory anyway you look at it. Congrats.
  • bruhnruth
    bruhnruth Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I limit myself to one coke a week.
  • Sew3rin
    Sew3rin Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Well done!
  • Lesley2603
    Lesley2603 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I gave up Diet Coke 3.5 years ago when I first started in the gym, as recommended by my PT. never missed it until the day after my sons wedding, 9 months later, was tired and hungover, took a cold can out of fridge, had one mouthful and threw the rest away, it was foul, can’t believe I drunk so much of it in the past,
  • Fivepts
    Fivepts Posts: 517 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    I am a water snob because it's the main thing I drink. It depends on the company. I hate Tx. water, even filtered, but don't mind SC, OK, NC, KY water. Same with ice. I only drink bottled water overseas. Tassay is a good brand. IMHO
  • rossbaker2_sc
    rossbaker2_sc Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I told myself I was giving up diet soft drinks at the beginning of March to give myself an extra boost since I was starting to plateau. I've had two since, once at a restaurant and once at work after a night where I couldn't sleep and I desperately needed caffeine (don't like coffee).

I drink a lot more water now and honestly I feel like a million bucks compared to before. I don't have as many cravings throughout the day and I have a lot more energy during workouts.
  • rossbaker2_sc
    rossbaker2_sc Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    They still taste delicious to me and are very tempting though. I wish I had the experience other people have mentioned about losing their taste for them.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine lost 50 pounds JUST from cutting out beer and soda. (That's a lot of beer and soda...) He made no other changes. Keep up the good work, OP!
  • Terytha
    Options
    They still taste delicious to me and are very tempting though. I wish I had the experience other people have mentioned about losing their taste for them.

Yep, still delicious. That's why I still drink them at restaurants, because a tall glass of cola with ice is just about the best thing, and allowing some is better than snapping and drinking a 12 pack.

I never drank diet soda though. Only regular. Diet has always tasted vile to me. And when I visit the US I drink nothing but water, because high fructose corn syrup is probably the grossest thing in the universe to me. I'd rather drink mud.
  • SteroidalLolita
    SteroidalLolita Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Terytha wrote: »
    We gave up Coke for lent. I'm not religious it just seemed like a convenient excuse since husband was doing it (he is religious). At the height of my soda drinking habit I was having 4-6 cans per day. I knew it was bad. But I loathe water. I gave myself the allowance that I would drink it at movie theaters, restaurants and if I got sick but wouldn't have any in the house.

I thought I was gonna die. I wanted a Coke SO BAD and I was cranky and sad about it. We had none though and drinking it in front of husband would have been cruel anyway. But lent is over, we bought a 2 liter for Easter dinner because you have yummy stuff for holiday meals. And I drank a huge amount... of water.

When did I stop craving soda? I don't remember. I still hate water, that'll never change. It picks up weird flavors from everything and my brain squicks at that. Turns out I can tolerate it if I eat spicy/salty things first though, hides the weird other taste. Anyways I guess I've kicked my soda habit. I think about the bottle in the fridge and I just don't want any.

Since I've been drinking way, way too much for like 10 years this is pretty huge.

Also I fit in normal store pants now. I don't have to locate plus size stores to shop. I bought $20 jeans. The cheapest plus size pants I ever found was $80.

I'm still obese, but you gotta take your victories where you can.

Dude! Congrats!
    I did the same. I'll have a little on occasion but it just doesn't strike me as quite as good as it used to. It's a great feeling!
  • kgb6days
    kgb6days Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    Get a water filter. It'll take out the weird tastes for the most part
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!