Tough Mudder- Favorite and Least Favorite Obstacle

Options
I'm just curious what everyone who has done a Mudder would choose as their most and least favorite obstacle.

I participated in the Buffalo, NY mudder in July and my favorite obstacle was the Funky Monkey- I had pretty much resigned myself to defeat on that one from the get-go, but I managed to make it across! I'm still pretty psyched (also surprised) about that.

My least favorite was easily the Arctic Enema. I had no idea what it was like to lose muscle control like that- definitely an eye opener. The electrocution obstacles are all hype- I didn't think they were that bad, and yes, I was shocked a number of times.

Anyone else?!

Replies

• BoxingChick
    BoxingChick Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I loved the Arctic Enema...was refreshing. I loved the obstacles that involved strength like carrying my team mate and the log....I hated the electric shock....i got shocked like 8 times crawling through the mud and was stuck behind a real slow person!
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Reading this with trepidation as I'm doing my first TM in 6 weeks.

Not looking forward to tunnels or jumping of a high wall but the rest not too worried about (YET!!)
  • woodstockchick
    Options
    what is a artic enema? lol sounds unpleasent =) ive never done those races but hope to eventually =)
  • Fit_NYC_
    Fit_NYC_ Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the Tri-State in October. It'll be my third mudder.

My least favorite obstacle... the electricity, it sucks and there's no way to train for it.
    As for favorite, I liked a few of them. I liked the "Wounded Warrior" where you carry someone, and I generally enjoy any of the climbing obstacles.
  • Spartan_Chick
    Options
    Depends on the weather...

If it is cold out, arctic enema is pure torture. It is a big basin of ice and freezing water. You have to jump in, swim under a barrier and swim to the other side. It took me about 4 miles before I warmed back up enough to stop shivering.
    That was the worst for me, but it was also cold out. If it had been hot, it would have been great.

Best are the walls. I love the accomplishment of getting over walls.

Tough Mudders are a blast. Good luck!
  • Fit_NYC_
    Options
    what is a artic enema? lol sounds unpleasent =) ive never done those races but hope to eventually =)

Arctic Enema is a dump truck container filled with ice water and color dye. There's also wood and barbed wire in the middle of it at the surface of the water so you have to submerge your self and push through all the ice. It's usually at the beginning of the course, and it wakes you up.. lol.
  • patrickblo13
    patrickblo13 Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    My least favorite was artic enema as well. And the last burn zone at the Buffalo course with the tire jumps....at that point I was struggling with cramps and that was brutal!!! I agree, the shock is more hype than anything.

I had a blast, I already pre-registered for next year
  • Josee76
    Josee76 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I've completed 2 mudders; lined up for a 3rd in September. The arctic enema was by far the worse experience of my life (both times) you can't train for it... and I HATE cold! Unpleasant to say the least!

Dirty Ballerina and the mud mile are so much fun and you get dirty!
  • Fit_NYC_
    Options
    Yeah, mud mile is pretty cool. I like watching people try to stay clean above the waist.... lol
    For some reason I actually like the arctic Enema, even though its freaking cold here in the North East in October.
  • mynameiscarrie
    mynameiscarrie Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Now I really want to do a Tough Mudder. I've seen so many pictures and I'd be the most scared of scaling the giant wall because I don't really scale things... but it sounds like so much fun!!!
  • Fit_NYC_
    Options
    It is a lot of fun! You should definitely do it!
  • PamelaKeebler
    PamelaKeebler Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Absolutely do it! You'll have so much fun! If someone told me a couple years ago that I would not only do a mudder, but also successfully complete all the obstacles, I would have told them that they're a total nutbag. You should totally do it- you'll be amazed at what you can accomplish. Also, seeing that kind of camaderie in action- and being a part of it- is super cool. It's ok to be afraid- overcoming that fear is the best part.
  • Ichigo2012
    Ichigo2012 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I liked Arctic Enema but didn't like getting shocked in the head or trying to get a good jump on Everest.
  • JusticeGirl25
    JusticeGirl25 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    I liked the arctic enema. Helped cool all of us off since it was so damn hot and muggy the day that I ran the Tough Mudder.
  • mynameiscarrie
    mynameiscarrie Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    bane-is-a-tough-mudder-1be483d4-sz320x482.jpg

This picture just makes me really want to sign up right now.
  • Fit_NYC_
    Options
    bane-is-a-tough-mudder-1be483d4-sz320x482.jpg

This picture just makes me really want to sign up right now.

Awesome!
  • kapatts
    kapatts Posts: 19
    Options
    The Arctic Enema sucked at the start of the race, but by the time I got to the end, I could've used another.

I enjoyed the Muddy Mile, though. I had dislocated my shoulder earlier in the race, so I was climbing those mud hills with one arm. I loved the amount of assistance everyone was giving each other. With one arm, I wouldn't have made it through that part without the help.

I hated the electroshock therapy at the end. It wasn't that painful or anything, I just didn't like the feeling of my muscles jumping out of my control.
  • kathrynmroma
    Options
    Fav: Electric eel, Everest

Least: Lumberjacked where I fell and broke my tailbone (but continued the 7 remaining miles until the end!)
  • arghbowl
    arghbowl Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    Favorite: Probably the Mud Mile or Everest

Least favorite: Electroshock Therapy and Arctic Enema... there's no training for EITHER of those.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Favorite: Trench Warfare. The version we had in SoCal had you crawl thru the trenches to reach an open area in the middle that was full of electric eels. You're lined up six deep and 5 across so you're just stuck there getting shocked by the same eel over and over again until the guy in front of you starts moves his *kitten*. It's my favorite because at a certain point the screams of agony from the people around me had me bursting in laughter tears. I'm a sadist.

Least Fav: Funky Monkey. I got like 2 rungs in and just bailed and went for a swim. No way I was making that one.