Anxious about staying in maintenance long term

I'm not alone in this right? I have the knowledge for how to maintain because I've been doing a routine of a few weeks on a deficit a few weeks at maintenance for the last oh...10 pounds. As a practice round for maintaining, and that'll be exactly how I deal with creep up in weight too. It's just something about thinking about being around the same for a very long time that seems somehow nerve wracking, What if I have a really high day or three in a row? Have I failed if I do gain weight? Will I need to be obsessive about everything I eat or can I somewhat let it go? Those kind of thoughts really get to me and have been weighing heavily the last few days

Replies

• MeadowRae
    MeadowRae Posts: 46 Member
    I'm not alone in this right? I have the knowledge for how to maintain because I've been doing a routine of a few weeks on a deficit a few weeks at maintenance for the last oh...10 pounds. As a practice round for maintaining, and that'll be exactly how I deal with creep up in weight too. It's just something about thinking about being around the same for a very long time that seems somehow nerve wracking, What if I have a really high day or three in a row? Have I failed if I do gain weight? Will I need to be obsessive about everything I eat or can I somewhat let it go? Those kind of thoughts really get to me and have been weighing heavily the last few days

To some extent weight fluctuations are normal, even for those who have never been obese. I have been maintaining for a while and gained some "winter fluff" but I know what I am doing and know that I can lose these ten pounds again. It took a long time to lose weight, and it takes a while to gain weight. Even if you gain a little back you're not going to be obese again overnight or even over a month.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    When I lost 27 pounds a few years ago using MFP my whole way of thinking about food changed. Food fuels my body and what I eat has a direct impact on my health. I look at food, especially sweets and junk food, and know I am free to eat if I want to, but do I REALLY want to? Is it worth it? Sometimes it absolutely is, and yum. Other times I’ll choose something else. It’s like what I’ve learned to do clothes shopping. I tell myself I can buy absolutely whatever I want, regardless of the cost, but I have to really LOVE it. Do I love it enough to spend whatever is on the price tag? When I give myself this freedom, I find I make better choices. (I did gain about a third of that 27 pounds back so I am here to lose it and do a bit of recomping).
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    you have to be cautious, last year I kept eating a little more, going over 600-800 calories most days and not weighing and 10 pounds was on me. I got it off but learned a lesson, catch it sooner and weigh daily.