Body stats comparison

Options
I know that my scale isn't the most accurate when it comes to giving me my stats like body fat and muscle %. I have had a caliper test done as well and the numbers are about 10% different ( 25%ish scale and 16%ish caliper for body fat). I am thinking about getting a bod pod test done to give me some more information to go by. Has anyone had one done and was able to compare it to other data? Is it even worth getting done?

Replies

• pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    Options
    Had a DEXA-Scan done recently and it was worth it to me. Real benefit is the second one because you can compare the results of your hard effort that hopefully will be gratifying and motivating to continue marching forward.

I’m sure the same would be the case with the method you’re considering. Good luck.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10442509/body-composition-method-comparison#latest

Any method used consistently and under the same conditions will be sufficient to show if you are trending in the right direction and visual estimations are sufficient to tell you when you get to the point you are happy with. But nothing wrong with more pieces of data. I found it useful to have a baseline to compare against the BIA scale.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Would suggest that if you are going to pop for a Bodpod which can give decent enough estimate for the price - do several of the other methods the same morning - like multi-site measurement, BIA scale, ect.

Get an idea of how off they are - then as you make progress you can keep using the more frequent cheaper/easier methods to track movement weekly, and still have an idea about actual number.

Though in the scheme of things, the actual best estimate number will be used for ????
    Just knowing?
    Starting with a better BMR estimate, leading to potentially different eating goals?
    Influence type of diet, or type of workouts?

Just curious what purpose would be.
    For instance, if better BMR estimate, getting an actual RMR test would be better.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I need a DEXA scan to measure my bone density. Thrilled that I’ll get my body fat measured at the same time.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    whmscll wrote: »
    I need a DEXA scan to measure my bone density. Thrilled that I’ll get my body fat measured at the same time.

I was super happy that they billed mine under a bone scan so I didn't have to pay anything.
  • eromligyppah
    eromligyppah Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    Would suggest that if you are going to pop for a Bodpod which can give decent enough estimate for the price - do several of the other methods the same morning - like multi-site measurement, BIA scale, ect.

Get an idea of how off they are - then as you make progress you can keep using the more frequent cheaper/easier methods to track movement weekly, and still have an idea about actual number.

Though in the scheme of things, the actual best estimate number will be used for ????
    Just knowing?
    Starting with a better BMR estimate, leading to potentially different eating goals?
    Influence type of diet, or type of workouts?

Just curious what purpose would be.
    For instance, if better BMR estimate, getting an actual RMR test would be better.

I think they do a Bodpod in town for $40ish so not too bad for the accuracy. I would like to get a comparison between that and my scale at minimum for sure. Ultimately I want to be in the 12%ish body fat range but with those 2 methods being so far apart I'm not sure where my goal is. I just want that flat stomach/ some abs for once, and since I'm in the science field, I like to analyze the data. I keep being told that no one believes that i'm 25% body fat (I'm 6'1" 203 lbs) so a little more accurate data to set some goals would be nice.
    I wasn't sure if others have done this already and seen how far off they are, and if it would be worth it or not.
  • eromligyppah
    eromligyppah Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10442509/body-composition-method-comparison#latest

Any method used consistently and under the same conditions will be sufficient to show if you are trending in the right direction and visual estimations are sufficient to tell you when you get to the point you are happy with. But nothing wrong with more pieces of data. I found it useful to have a baseline to compare against the BIA scale.

That post is amazing. I've seen the equivalent of guys pictures with the body fat % before too and I'm a bad judge of trying to guess exactly where I fit in. Numbers are visuals I can't have a mental bias of myself on too.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I had 6 monthly BodPod scans done when I was losing weight and the first few gave perfectly reasonable numbers and trends that matched appearance changes and also followed the same trend line as a four point domestic BIA scale.

But then had one that was obviously wrong, despite measured growth in quads, biceps and lats, reduction in fat around my waistline and visual changes including more vascularity and muscle definition it said I had gained fat despite losing weight. Never bothered going back for more!

TBH once I was in the ballpark of goal weight changes in physique were obvious and getting a somewhat dubious estimate was completely superfluous. IMHO at the start of weight loss a fairly random number isn't of much use, near the end as you get leaner it's again not much use - possibly in the middle it could (kind of..) be slightly useful progress measurement.