Halibut how to

Options
stephtra49
stephtra49 Posts: 168 Member
I’m not much of a fish eater but I need to start so please help me here! How do you cook yours?

Replies

• acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,605 Member
    Options
    Cook like cod or any firm white fish.

An easy thing to do is to sear it in a pan with some olive oil and serve with some commercial salsa as a sauce. You can liven up a jar of salsa by adding some chopped red onion, and chopped olives or capers.

If your fish is skin on, cook skin side down first until it looks cooked half way viewed from the side, then flip and cook a third of that time skin side up. Fish is done when it reaches an internal temperature of 175F if you have a meat thermometer.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    I cook mine just for the halibut.

J/K. Treat it like any other meaty white fleshed fish (a la bass or cod, etc.). I like pan searing the best. The grill can be a bit aggressive so I save that for really meaty fish (tuna or swordfish), and baking/roasting can be hard to control the final temperature.

I actually like to use it in seafood chowder because it's substantial enough not to overcook too easily and/or disintegrate in the broth
  • stephtra49
    Options
    @DX2JX2 😂! The sad thing is I don’t ever cook fish so this is going to be a new adventure for me! Wish me luck!
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,605 Member
    Options
    As DX2JX2 says, halibut is quite forgiving in soups and stews. I don't do North American chowder but make a cheat's version of French bouillabaise with firm white fish such as halibut or cod.

Fry some minced onion and garlic in olive oil until softened, then toss in a tin of tomatoes and a pinch herbs such as oregno, tarragon or herbes de provence and a pinch of red chilli flakes. Blitz with an immersion blender or in the food processor. Return to heat and add a fish stock cube or better,Japanese dashi powder (an instant fish stock made from powdered dried tuna). Add cubes of halibut and cook until fish is done (is opaque or use your meat thermometer). Stir in a tablespoon of mayo into each bowl of soup while serving. Adjust seasoning at the table.
  • stephtra49
    Options
    👍🏼 thanks
  • JohnnytotheB
    JohnnytotheB Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I make it in a pan. I like things easy so I put a little butter, lemon and pepper in the pan. Cook on both sides using a medium heat until done. Viola, it's really good.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Options
    I use the filets to make "fish and potatoes" in the oven. Line your pan with parchment paper. Place filets over the paper and cover the bottom. Drizzle with olive oil and salt. Cut up your potatoes, rinse, drain and place in large bowl. Drizzle with olive oil, add salt, pepper, rosemary, garlic, paprika,....whatever you like. Mix well with a spoon and put the potatoes over the fish filets. Add 1/2 cup of water (if fillets are frozen and icy, skip the water). Bake at 350°, mod oven, until potatoes are crispy. Time will depend on your oven, however it shouldn't take more than an hour. Fish can get dry if overcooked.