Bad cold with my half marathon coming up!

Options
emilysusana
emilysusana Posts: 416 Member
edited April 2019 in Fitness and Exercise
I’m scheduled to run my first half on May 4. Things were going great... till I did my long run on Easter. Two of my daughters had bad chest colds and I woke up that day feeling a little off but not like I had a cold... I thought maybe a little lightheaded due to more sugar than usual the day before.

Anyway, that long run was hard to complete in a way others have not been, and I was wiped out after. The next day (yesterday) the cold manifested itself. I was supposed to run 5 today but I knew I couldn’t. I’ve felt dizzy all day and took a nap (only happens for me when I’m sick). I went for a slow 3 mile walk In the morning.

My question is: what should I do while I have this cold? Should I try to go for a couple of short runs while feeling crummy, or wait till I feel better and do a longer one? If I don’t do a long run this coming weekend (one week before the race) is that bad?

As I said, this is my first time tackling this distance. I usually run about 5.6 mph on my long runs. My only goal for the half is to run all the miles.

Replies

• dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    PS - Which race are you running?
  • emilysusana
    Options
    Oh thank the Lord, that was what I was hoping to hear.
  • emilysusana
    Options
    The Indy Mini marathon. I grew up in Indianapolis but don’t live there now. I’m excited!

I trained for a half 10 years ago but had the flu on race day. This time it’s a cold and hopefully better timed!
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    You have plenty of time to heal and get over your cold. That has priority right now. Rest, hydrate, rest some more. Better to be a little undertrained on race day than sick.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    You have plenty of time to heal and get over your cold. That has priority right now. Rest, hydrate, rest some more. Better to be a little undertrained on race day than sick.

This is great advice. You’re ready. It will come naturally. As long as you are healthy.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,899 Member
    Options

Speaking as someone who has a really bad cold right now ... ^^ this ^^ .

Sleep lots!

• lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    +1 more for rest. You should be in your taper anyway. Your training is essentially done. The only reason to run in a taper is to keep your legs moving and to keep your mind from going crazy, but the real goal of the taper is to rest and recover so that you are fresh on race day. Since life threw you a curve ball, you may have to alter your taper plan to get the outcome you need. You want to go into your race as healthy as possible. Best of luck!
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    rest you should be in taper
  • emilysusana
    Options
    Thanks all. My training schedule had me doing a normal week this week, with taper the final week, but rest now is clearly what I need. I certainly want to give myself every chance to feel good on race day. And if I made it through 11 miles while I was coming down with a cold, I can certainly handle 13 when I feel good!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    You've already done all the hard work. Rest, recover and be healthy for race day.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    rest...especially if your cold is in your chest. Running or doing other aerobic activity is only going to push it further into your chest and prolong recovery.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    Rest, yes, but you have do get some exercise as you recover. It's a balance that is achieved by carefully monitoring your symptoms. A little walking as you start to recover can be beneficial.