General Question on weights

Options
How come strength exercises burn no calories in this app? Just curious

Replies

• Dilvish
    Dilvish Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Doesn't really matter. Calorie burn rates for exercise are a guess at best because no two people burn at the same rate. The best thing to do is just track your caloric intake and let the exercise do the rest. Just make sure you pick the right category for activity level when you set up your account profile.

I personally set mine to sedentary so that I can see how many calories to consume if I do virtually nothing all day. If I exercise for an hour, I tend to up it about 100-200 calories per hour of exercise, but no more.

It is a lot easier to track.

Exercise is great for overall health but is not absolutely necessary for weight loss according to MFP's dietitian
  • jedoubleday
    jedoubleday Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Thanks. Not really looking at it as a way to up my calories. I was more curious on how doing something like that caused not calorie burn. Even if it was an estimate as you say we all burn differently. To my brain it did not make sense that the amount was zero. Thanks though both replies were insightful and helpful.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    It’s not that it doesn’t burn calories, but that it’s much harder to determine the calories burned during strength training than it is to estimate an avg for cardio.

There is a very rough estimate for it under cardio.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I lift consistently 4 days/week, so instead of entering strength training in the cardio section, I change my setting to light active instead of sedentary, which gives me more cals and seems to balance out pretty well