Phobias

Options
lauragreenbaum
lauragreenbaum Posts: 1,017 Member
I'm curious if anyone else has a serious phobia that impacts their life. I cannot drive in snow. I grew up in Michigan and had several close calls driving in the snow, and developed a phobia so bad that I was unable to drive half of the year. I moved to Florida and then to California to escape it. My work involves a lot of travel, and when I have to be someplace where it's snowing someone else has to drive- I still don't like it, but as long as I'm not driving I can handle that. But this has impacted where I live- I will never live someplace where snow is possible. Does anyone else have a phobia?

Replies

• RunsWithBees
    RunsWithBees Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    Not sure if it’s a phobia but I have an intense fear of medium-to-large sized dogs. It stems from an anxiety of potentially being bitten. Basically if they can get their teeth around one of my limbs I’m terrified of them, no matter how friendly they might be. I became a runner 5 years ago so I encounter a lot of dogs out on my runs, many of them unleashed. I just deal with it as best I can because running is much more important to me so I choose to face my fear head-on and don’t let it stop me from doing what I love. I know that my risk of actually being attacked is quite low but that doesn’t stop the fear I feel, I simply keep focusing on my end-goals and put all my energy into what I’m trying to accomplish and if something adverse happens, I’ll deal with it when the time comes. Like I said, I’m not sure if that qualifies as a phobia. Incidentally, I’m not really afraid of reptiles, coyotes, bees, etc. but find dogs intensely terrifying 🤷🏻‍♀️
  • anl90
    anl90 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it is a phobia, but I have a fear of heights. It's only in certain situations, though - like on a bridge, or certain rides. My hands get clammy, I get shaky and it can get hard to breathe. I also have a fear of bugs - does not matter what kind, I avoid all.
  • Hulkfan1
    Hulkfan1 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    To heights, although I deal with it well...
  • lauragreenbaum
    Options
    Not sure if it’s a phobia but I have an intense fear of medium-to-large sized dogs. It stems from an anxiety of potentially being bitten. Basically if they can get their teeth around one of my limbs I’m terrified of them, no matter how friendly they might be. I became a runner 5 years ago so I encounter a lot of dogs out on my runs, many of them unleashed. I just deal with it as best I can because running is much more important to me so I choose to face my fear head-on and don’t let it stop me from doing what I love. I know that my risk of actually being attacked is quite low but that doesn’t stop the fear I feel, I simply keep focusing on my end-goals and put all my energy into what I’m trying to accomplish and if something adverse happens, I’ll deal with it when the time comes. Like I said, I’m not sure if that qualifies as a phobia. Incidentally, I’m not really afraid of reptiles, coyotes, bees, etc. but find dogs intensely terrifying 🤷🏻‍♀️

I totally understand that. As a dog owner, I'm always very respectful of people who are afraid of dogs, and keep mine leashed unless we are in an open area completely alone. My dog has also been attacked twice by dogs off leash. Because of this, I carry pepper spray with me when out with my dog. If my dog gets attacked, this will fend off the attacker without causing permanent harm. I would recommend you carry it when you run- very easy to get and I think will make you feel better.
  • lauragreenbaum
    Options
    anl90 wrote: »
    I don't know if it is a phobia, but I have a fear of heights. It's only in certain situations, though - like on a bridge, or certain rides. My hands get clammy, I get shaky and it can get hard to breathe. I also have a fear of bugs - does not matter what kind, I avoid all.

I'm the same way. For me my fear of heights is when there is no barrier, like on an open balcony 20 stories up, or hiking on a very steep trail. As long as there is a barrier, like flying on a plane, or in an elevator with outside windows, I'm fine. I think it's more a fear of falling for me.
  • Hulkfan1
    Options
    I got to manage it better when I went to basic training... specially because there was an angry older guy screaming at me all the time and I feared for my life.... although I knew they would not actually kill me... I think
  • RunsWithBees
    RunsWithBees Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options

I totally understand that. As a dog owner, I'm always very respectful of people who are afraid of dogs, and keep mine leashed unless we are in an open area completely alone. My dog has also been attacked twice by dogs off leash. Because of this, I carry pepper spray with me when out with my dog. If my dog gets attacked, this will fend off the attacker without causing permanent harm. I would recommend you carry it when you run- very easy to get and I think will make you feel better.

Thank you for being considerate of others :)<3 I wish all dog owners would be so responsible! I do carry a mini pepper spray in my running belt but I’d only use it in an extreme case because I don’t want to harm the dogs :) Of course the one day I forgot to carry my pepper spray I was running and rounded a hillside only to be stopped in my tracks by a huge St. Bernard mix that worked circles around me and was barking madly. I froze, it seemed perplexed that I wasn’t moving and clearly wanted to chase me, it leaped towards my face but luckily didn’t bite me. His owner struggled to get him under control and was like “oh, he never acts like this!” When they finally got a hold of the collar (they had no leash!!!) I asked them why they did not keep him on a leash, they said “because he’s afraid of people” :s:s:s
  • Hulkfan1
    Options
    Never thought about that from your point of view... I will be mindful when walking my dog...
  • lauragreenbaum
    Options

Thank you for being considerate of others :)<3 I wish all dog owners would be so responsible! I do carry a mini pepper spray in my running belt but I’d only use it in an extreme case because I don’t want to harm the dogs :) Of course the one day I forgot to carry my pepper spray I was running and rounded a hillside only to be stopped in my tracks by a huge St. Bernard mix that worked circles around me and was barking madly. I froze, it seemed perplexed that I wasn’t moving and clearly wanted to chase me, it leaped towards my face but luckily didn’t bite me. His owner struggled to get him under control and was like “oh, he never acts like this!” When they finally got a hold of the collar (they had no leash!!!) I asked them why they did not keep him on a leash, they said “because he’s afraid of people” :s:s:s

You know what they say- dogs never bite until they do. My dog has never bitten anyone, but when attacked by other dogs she does fight back and trying to separate them is dangerous.
  • Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    Options
    I can't drive on a freeway, the ones when the speed limit is 100 km/h.

I feel claustrophobic and get like a tunnel thing and feel like I may have a panic attack (even as a passenger, I have to close my eyes sometimes because of the claustrophobic tunnel feeling). I'd be horrified to try to change lanes. I hate the feeling of the cars going by, makes me light-headed sometimes.

Btw, I don't drive on them, I'll take an extra hour to get where I'm going, my phobia would be a hazard to myself and others.

I'm ok on high speed multi lane highways out of the city.
  • anl90
    anl90 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    anl90 wrote: »

I'm the same way. For me my fear of heights is when there is no barrier, like on an open balcony 20 stories up, or hiking on a very steep trail. As long as there is a barrier, like flying on a plane, or in an elevator with outside windows, I'm fine. I think it's more a fear of falling for me.

I think it is the fear of the fall for me as well. I had to realize this the hard way - there is a ride at Six Flags in STL, MO called the Superman, where you are lifted way up high and then just dropped. I don't normally scream on rides...screamed until my throat was sore on that one lol. Super traumatizing.