Anyone reversed prediabetic condition

Options
2»

Replies

• CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    4 years ago I was in high risk classification on nearly every blood health indicator. After losing 60+ lbs and gradually increasing activity those same metrics are in the ideal state.
  • OooohToast
    OooohToast Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Something thats new to me is the role inflammation plays in blood glucose management.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Yes, after about 25 lbs loss, walking, and strength training. It only took a few months. Went on to lose a total of 140-150.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    I did, with weight loss. I didn't do anything special beyond controlling my calories and becoming more active. I did not go low carb. For me, it took about 70 pounds of weight loss to lower my readings to normal levels (mine were quite hight, nearly diabetic). I'm more than 100 lb lighter now and my levels are near optimum despite still being obese (class I obesity, I was very fat). Apparently, my insulin resistance was mostly caused by being fat. If yours is mostly genetics, the results may be different, but even in that case, you will still see at least some improvement if you're obese and lose the weight.

My experience was nearly identical, except that it only took about 30 pounds loss for me (going from class II to class I obesity). During that time, most of my activity increase was just walking more.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    I did, with weight loss. I didn't do anything special beyond controlling my calories and becoming more active. I did not go low carb. For me, it took about 70 pounds of weight loss to lower my readings to normal levels (mine were quite hight, nearly diabetic). I'm more than 100 lb lighter now and my levels are near optimum despite still being obese (class I obesity, I was very fat). Apparently, my insulin resistance was mostly caused by being fat. If yours is mostly genetics, the results may be different, but even in that case, you will still see at least some improvement if you're obese and lose the weight.

My experience was nearly identical, except that it only took about 30 pounds loss for me (going from class II to class I obesity). During that time, most of my activity increase was just walking more.

Probably has to do with my starting weight and my starting blood sugar, as I started in the super morbidly obese category and my blood sugar was a tick away from an official diabetes diagnosis. Now, my levels are near optimal. I hover around 75 for fasting glucose.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options

Probably has to do with my starting weight and my starting blood sugar, as I started in the super morbidly obese category and my blood sugar was a tick away from an official diabetes diagnosis. No, my levels are near optimal. I hover around 75 for fasting glucose.

Yeah, I was "only" severely obese. :smile: My fasting blood sugar at an office-place wellness event was at the high end of the prediabetes range, and my blood pressure reading was so high that they wouldn't let me leave until it came down a bit. I was so scared I got on the phone right away with a health consultant service that was part of the workplace benefits, and she recommended MFP as a way to try to lose weight. I started logging immediately with my lunch (or technically breakfast, I suppose, since I was fasting before the wellness appointment).