Trying to get off soda... anyone have any good suggestions for a substitute?

Options
I'm trying to give up soda once and for all, and I love water, I just don't want to drink ONLY water.
What's some good suggestions to replace the soda?
I don't want to drink a lot of juice because I know a lot has a lot of sugar, which is one of the reasons I'm giving up soda.
So I just want something w/some flavor, just not all the sugar and empty cals.
Thanks!

Replies

• slbbw
    slbbw Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Flavored sparkling water, iced tea. If you do iced herbal tea you can get some good flavor variety. Also if you do homemade and need some sweetness add it but measure how much you are adding. It is usually much less sweet than store bought. If you are ok with artificial sweetener there are a range of products to flavor water. Diluted juice can also be a good option. For a treat I will add juice to sparkling water for a soda like drink.
  • lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I get bored with water sometimes. I like Powerade zero - fruit punch flavor, lemonade mio, diet Dr pepper, unsweetened iced tea, and sparkling water is lovely.
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    slbbw wrote: »
    Flavored sparkling water, iced tea. If you do iced herbal tea you can get some good flavor variety. Also if you do homemade and need some sweetness add it but measure how much you are adding. It is usually much less sweet than store bought. If you are ok with artificial sweetener there are a range of products to flavor water. Diluted juice can also be a good option. For a treat I will add juice to sparkling water for a soda like drink.

Great ideas! I feel like I've heard someone talking about sparkling water before; because the carbonation is one thing I love about soda.
    I will definitely try that!
  • zeejane4
    zeejane4 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Diet soda and LaCroix sparkling flavored waters (non-sweetened).
  • Beanly21
    Beanly21 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I was just wondering this also, so thanks for asking. I stopped soda after college and won't drink artificial sweeteners, but pure juice adds too many calories each day. I agree with diluting drinks with water. I have been squeezing lemons into water. I like the iced tea suggestion. I also have green tea. And coffee calories are low, so sometimes I have a small iced coffee. I like eating watermelon chunks to feel as if I'm getting water that way.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    Coke Zero Sugar, Pepsi Zero Sugar and Diet A&W Root Beer
  • zeejane4
    zeejane4 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Beanly21 wrote: »
    I was just wondering this also, so thanks for asking. I stopped soda after college and won't drink artificial sweeteners, but pure juice adds too many calories each day. I agree with diluting drinks with water. I have been squeezing lemons into water. I like the iced tea suggestion. I also have green tea. And coffee calories are low, so sometimes I have a small iced coffee. I like eating watermelon chunks to feel as if I'm getting water that way.

LaCroix doesn't have any added sweeteners, it's a bit pricey but my Aldi carries it now, for $3.50-12pk, so that's not bad (it's over $5 at the other grocery stores).
  • Spadesheart
    Spadesheart Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Lemon juice and sucralose. Make pitchers of lemonade and keep it in the fridge. Delicious and basically 0 calorie.
  • nevergiveup812mfp
    nevergiveup812mfp Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Zevia. 0 cal no fake sugar...stevia.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,262 Member
    Options
    I love Spindrift sparkling water. It's sold at Kroger. It's sparkling water with real juice. Very few calories (it varies on juice, but under 20?). I used to like flavored sparkling water, but I like this more. If I'm home, I'll add my own lime juice, but on the go, it's yummy. Also something flavored to have with dinner or in front of the TV rather than a beer...
  • gregc50
    gregc50 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to give up soda once and for all, and I love water, I just don't want to drink ONLY water.
    What's some good suggestions to replace the soda?
    I don't want to drink a lot of juice because I know a lot has a lot of sugar, which is one of the reasons I'm giving up soda.
    So I just want something w/some flavor, just not all the sugar and empty cals.
    Thanks!

I drank beer, gave that up, drank pepsi, gave that up.

What works for me is Dasani sparkling lemon flavoured water. From the fridge it feels like a beer/pepsi but has nothing bad in it.
  • nocgirl72
    nocgirl72 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I cannot totally give up diet pop. I just had a coke zero. That and Diet Dr Pepper and Sparkling Ice are my faves and yes I do know the artificial lab created sweeteners aren't supposed to be good for you.
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    nocgirl72 wrote: »
    I cannot totally give up diet pop. I just had a coke zero. That and Diet Dr Pepper and Sparkling Ice are my faves and yes I do know the artificial lab created sweeteners aren't supposed to be good for you.

According to who?
  • nocgirl72
    nocgirl72 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I agree very much I would rather eat my calories than drink them. I see people drink these propels or the light Gatorade that are dieting and I am like why? So many zero calorie drinks. Black coffee and Sparkling ice are 2 of my faves.

Diet pop.
    Black coffee, water, and diet pop. Everything else has too many calories and I would rather chew my calories than drink them.