Sauces

Options
Shn_Lim_B
Shn_Lim_B Posts: 2 Member
What do you do in terms of sauces? I just can’t justify the extra calories (hubby and I don’t really like saucy stuff though), but some meals just need a sauce of some kind.

Replies

• acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,603 Member
    Options
    Here's one with negligible calories. Surprisingly delicious for something so simple.
    https://maknao.wordpress.com/2010/06/28/cambodian black pepper dip/
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    I use red or green chile sauce for a lot of things. My husband puts Sriracha on probably half or more of his dinners. I make a lot of sauceless pastas with meat protein such as chicken or sausage plus veggies. Some are great, some are bland.

What kinds of meals are looking for sauces for? Especially since you "don't really like saucy stuff".
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 8,971 Member
    Options
    Can't go wrong with teriyaki, other than the high sodium content.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    Chimichurri is another solution (though has more fat than the above suggestions, all of which I think are good ones).
  • HereToLose50
    HereToLose50 Posts: 154 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Tzatziki sauce is pretty amazing and can be as low calorie as the yogurt you make it with. It can also be thinned a little more with water or broth and used as salad dressing or pasta sauce. Super easy to make.

If you like spicy, it's good with a dash of cayenne or chopped fresh jalapeno to make it a little different flavor profile.

Nonfat plain Greek yogurt is one of my favorite sauce bases. It takes well to many flavors both savory and sweet and is loaded with protein. Try using it as a sub for mayo or cream in dressings/sauces. I only use the nonfat here *because* of the protein - get plenty of fats elsewhere.

*Editing to add I don't cook the yogurt for sauce. It might break or curdle. You can cook or toast the spices/garlic/peppers and onions, etc whatever you are using for flavor, then put them in the yogurt off the heat
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I don't use sauces much, but some dishes need them. For the dishes that need them, I just use my usual sauces. When I first started dieting I experimented with the fat level in my usual sauces until I found something that works (I did that for most of my foods and meals, actually). I just kept adding less and less fat every time until it became not as pleasant, then bumped fat back up a notch to where it's still tasty but lower in calories and declared that the perfect balance for me.
  • shaf238
    shaf238 Posts: 4,021 Member
    Options
    https://theskinnyfoodco.com/collections/zero-calorie-sauces - they do zero calorie, zero sugar sauces

(No I'm not affiliated with them and haven't tried it myself. A friend of mine has and she says they're great).
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    nossmf wrote: »
    Can't go wrong with teriyaki, other than the high sodium content.
    I love teriyaki! You can make sauces yourself and control the ingredients. I could eat it every day. Especially on chicken, pork and veggies. Personal preference and likes are key to making foods you really like.
  • sonilac
    sonilac Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    On meats i use chimichurri (keto condiment) https://mediterraneanlatinloveaffair.com/chimichurri-sauce-keto-friendly-bbq-sauce/ and on other type of foods i use a spicy tomato salsa: https://mediterraneanlatinloveaffair.com/tomato-salsa-bolivian-llajua/ (this is low calories too)
  • bkhbethany
    bkhbethany Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Walden Farms brand has a plethora of zero calorie sauces. Some taste better than others.. just have to try them out to find the good ones!
  • AmberVazq
    AmberVazq Posts: 15 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    I found I need less sauce than I think.
    Making my own zucchini noodles fry them no oil toss them on the pasta or just eat zucchini noodles.$4.99 Walmart for a zucchini pasta maker hand held. Add tomatoes lots even cucumber if you have it. (If you like spicy things or other veggies to fruit add it.Apples my thing)
    Then I allow myself 1-3 tablespoons sauce mix to coat it all. I use margarine instead of butter to spinach noodles even. I use to pour the whole jars out on the pasta litterely I was eating sauce not sure if any noodles got in.
  • blackforesttea
    blackforesttea Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Walden's Farms and Guy's BBQ sauces are amazing and I will never let them go. They make my life so much easier. My favourite WF product is the WF Chipotle Ranch dressing. Goes great with taco seasoning over a baked veggie casserole and some hot sauce.
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    G Hughes brand products are pretty damn good (low carb, low/no sugar). Not a disappointment like Walden farms.
    Good variety of low kcal bbq sauces, ketchup, teriyaki sauce, & steak sauce (yet to try this one, not available yet)
  • BattyKnitter
    BattyKnitter Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I'm not much of a sauce eater either and I have found that just reducing the amount of my regular sauces usually works quite well to fit into my calories. My favourite is yogurt based tzatziki.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,603 Member
    Options
    I love maesri seafood sauce from Thailand. Makes plain crudites taste amazing and 20 kcal for a tablespoon. It's quite spicy.
    https://www.thaifooddirect.co.uk/maesri-seafood-sauce-290ml.html
  • whoami67
    whoami67 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    What type of sauces are you talking about?

I like salsa or Frank's red hot sauce.

A little chicken broth and soy sauce or coconut aminos (add garlic, ginger, peanut powder, lime or whatever to taste) is good and easily thickened with sweet rice flour or cornstarch (calories) or glucomannan (no calories).

Chicken or beef broth, wine, garlic, shallots, thyme can be boiled into a nice reduction sauce for meat. Or you can make a simple gravy with chicken broth. Use glucomannan to thicken if you don't want added calories.

Fresh herbs in the food processor with a few other ingredients make good toppings. Pesto with basil, lemon juice and parmesan (nuts and olive oil are also nice additions). Or chimichurri with a reduced amount of olive oil.

Sour cream based sauces can be stirred up with fat free sour cream or Greek yogurt. Fresh herbs make everything better.

Canned chickpeas, garlic, lemon and salt make a nice easy hummus in the food processor or blender. Add a little olive oil if desired. Or add fresh herbs like parsley to it. Or some roasted red peppers.