What causes cellulite formation, and how do I get rid of it?

Options
I find now that I am getting older (53) I am developing a lot of cellulite, especially on my legs. It is so disgusting, and don't even want to wear shorts this summer. Is there anyone out there the knows the secret to getting rid of this stuff. Would weight training help. How about diet? What contributes to the formation of cellulite?

Replies

• Florida_Superstar
    Florida_Superstar Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I'm 48 and struggled with this even in my 20s and for years afterwards. I tried all the "remedies." Creams, lotions, dry brushing, collagen and a few other supplements recommended for it, lifting "heavy", more cardio, less cardio, higher fat diet, lower fat diet, Bikram yoga, rebounding, cycling hot and cold in the shower... I have read that all of those things helped some people, but nothing helped me until I lost body fat with a calorie deficit, and now I don't have cellulite anymore. I wasn't overweight, but last year I really dialed in my calorie needs, focused on hitting my number consistently, and got very lean. That's the only thing that worked for me. I lifted weights and did cardio before and after losing cellulite, but I do much less cardio and lift heavier now.
  • Florida_Superstar
    Florida_Superstar Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Cellulite is subcutaneous fat that dimples and ripples, and just about everyone has it to some degree. Women are just more prone to it in certain areas such as hips and thighs since that's where we tend to carry weight. Exercise can help and so can losing some of the fat, but its presence is largely determined by age and genetics and you will likely never get rid of all of it. Creams and lotions dont do anything either, so don't waste money. I had it when i weighed 115lbs and never lifted a day in my life and I have it now that I'm 20lbs heavier and workout almost every day. Your best bet is to recognize that it's part of the human body and totally normal.

^^Also, I agree with all this.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Yeah, unfortunately being a human female is pretty much what causes cellulite.
    Getting lean and building muscle may help, as it stretches it out a bit. A fake tan makes it less obvious. And I've heard massaging the area can have a temporary effect for some people (you'll usually find the cellulite creams require they be massaged in extensively, and my understanding is it's actually the massaging that gives the temporary effect some people see). The extent to which any of these will help is very individual and probably largely genetic.

Getting over hating cellulite is really a good idea. Most women over a certain age have it to some extent, and many pictures of famous peeps don't show it because of angle, lighting, and photo shop. As was said above, it's totally normal :smile: