Snoring

Options
lauragreenbaum
lauragreenbaum Posts: 1,017 Member
I recently was told by a friend that I snore- loud. I downloaded a snoring app and my friend was right. WOW! When I was married, my ex told me I snored occasionally but it didn't seem to be a problem. When I heard myself snoring all night long on this app I decided I have to do something. I've been trying different things- I bought a mouth guard on Amazon, but it didn't fit tight enough and it made no difference. I tried nose plugs with holes in them- supposed to open up your nasal passages- also was ineffective. Last night I tried nose strips- again made no difference.

I don't want to live the rest of my life not being able to sleep in the same room with another person so I have to find a solution. If anyone has one please share or PM me if this is TMI. Thanks

Replies

• RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure of your current weight or goals, so this may not apply if you don't have much to lose, or if you are gaining, but generally many people on here experience improvements with snoring through losing weight. Otherwise, it might be a good idea to talk to your doctor about options if over-the-counter stuff isn't working, as heavy snoring can sometimes interrupt sleep and cause you to not get a good quality night of rest.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Tall to your doctor. You may have sleep apnea, which is common and treatable, but can be very dangerous if left untreated.
  • OooohToast
    OooohToast Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I can snore like a water buffalo with a cold - the things that contribute are my weight, environment (dust, pollen etc) and food intolerances (note, not allergies). The impact of food intolerances can be mild and/or delayed enough for you not to associate it with specific food and any outcome. If I get bingey on cheese, you can hear me snore from the next post/zip code :D.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    In 2004 I had finally got a CPAP machine off eBay (Craigslist might be a better source today) and trained myself how to use it letting the then 7 year old kids decide when I did not keep them awake due to my snoring. The side effect was a marked improvement in my ability to stay awake during the day and mental clarity because in my case sleep apnea must have been associated with my snoring.

I would suggest a sleep study but at the time I was short on both the money and time to do a sleep studies. I did have to reduce the pressure after I lost 50 pounds.

Recently I saw an automatic CPAP listed in Nashville TN with next to no hours for $300. They self adjust the required pressure on the fly. Snoring can cause serious health issues in some people like heart attacks and strokes so snoring is way more than just a social problem in some cases.

Talk with your doctor soon and go from there.

• endermako
    endermako Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    you haven't mentioned your stats but a good amount of people notice a reduction in snoring when they lose weight. I used to snore all night but when i dropped the first 20lbs my snoring only happens when I have a cold now.
  • lauragreenbaum
    lauragreenbaum Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    you haven't mentioned your stats but a good amount of people notice a reduction in snoring when they lose weight. I used to snore all night but when i dropped the first 20lbs my snoring only happens when I have a cold now.

I'm 5'3" and weigh 164. My goal weight is 140. I'm in my 50's and do Pilates daily, so that's a good weight for me.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    Definitely get checked for sleep apnea.
    However, you can also try a mouth guard that is custom molded for you. My husband got one from our dentist to deal with his teeth grinding problem and it all but eliminated his snoring.
  • reversemigration
    reversemigration Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    A follow up with a sleep doc/NP is probably warranted. There are other signs and symptoms of sleep apnea, and this website has a questionnaire that's used widely in clinics and hospitals: http://www.stopbang.ca/patient/screening.php

Given the potential health consequences, it's worth following up on - I speak from personal experience.
  • amy19355
    amy19355 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    i had a sleep study done, diagnosed with sleep apnea, fitted out for a CPAP machine, and i've slept like a baby ever since. When I bunk with friends at retreats in a common room, someone else snores and keeps us awake. not me anymore!